26| Family Reunion

Chapter 26

Family Reunion

Ep 39: The Guru

Toph and I sit in silence, swaying with the train as it rumbles down the tracks. Eventually we approach the middle ring where Toph's mum is staying. "You want me to come with you?"

Toph shakes her head, "I know where I'm going and..." she pauses and if she could see I feel as though this is where she'd give me a judgmental up and down look, "My mum is a bit more upper class than you, and very judgmental."

"I see where you get it from then." I chuckle as Toph punches my shoulder, "Good luck, Toph, I think things will go great with your mum."

She nods as the train screeches to a halt, quietly making her way of the platform into the city. I watch through the window as people roam about in their fancy attire for as long as I can, till eventually the train rolls out of the station and the wall blocks the view of the beautiful middle ring. Instead I am met with the sight of run down houses and dirty streets. There are no fine clothes worn here, their much simpler than the outfits worn just a wall away.

The train slows to a stop at the last station before the outer wall and I make my way out. I try my very best not to look too clueless whilst roaming the streets looking for the inn my mother had described. I did find it eventually, it was a nice place for the area, being so close to the train station it probably got a lot of business from refugees seeking safety and a roof over their head.

Inside was cozy for what the place was. There was a fire burning in the corner and many travellers chatting to themselves around tables, nursing drinks in their hands as they laugh amongst themselves. I scan the crowd praying to the spirits I wasn't too late and they hadn't moved on yet. That's when I spot a familiar face.

"Hai!" The man in question turns at the sound of his name and quickly stands to his feet when he spots me.

He smiles as I approach, "Tenshi, you made it!"

"Just in time too." A voice from behind Hai announces it's presence, "We were set to leave in a few hours."

"Jiang! I didn't know you'd be here too." I greet the two of them with a brief hug, "How's mum doing?"

"It took a lot to convince her, she's been really quiet the entire time we've been here."

I sigh, "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. I feel like just an apology will never be enough." I glance between the two of them, "How did I bring you two around?"

Jiang shrugs, "It was more learning that you weren't you when you came back. Obviously, you've changed a lot now but you remind one more of kid Tenshi now then you did then -when you still kinda looked like kid Tenshi."