17 | Veggies and Straight talking

Chapter 17

Veggies and Straight talking

Ep 28: Bitter Work

When I wake up the next morning it is to a rumbling noise and then a loud shout, "Good morning, earth-bending student

When I wake up the next morning it is to a rumbling noise and then a loud shout, "Good morning, earth-bending student." I sit myself up in my sleeping bag

"Good morning, Sifu Toph."

"Hey, you never called me Sifu Katara." The girl says from behind me.

Aang scratches the back of his neck, "Well if you think I should." Suddenly Sokka sits up grumbling as he does, sending a glare at the chatting group.

 "Sorry, snoozles, we'll do our Earthbending as quietly as we can," Toph tells the boy in a whisper before using her bending to launch the boy into the air. When he lands on the ground he jumps to his feet, hobbling around in his sleeping bag grumbling something about, "Running around and making noises." Before waddling away. 

Aang and Toph start to discuss their lesson whilst I get up and get ready for the day. Twisting and plating my hair I wander over to Sokka,  seeing as Katara is watching Aang's lesson I thought I would get some training in. He seemed to have other plans as, when I found him he is sitting a little away from the lesson still snug in his sleeping bag. 

When I sat next to him it was just in time to see Aang attempt to launch a rock only for him to go flying backwards and hit Appa. Sokka chuckles to himself, "Rock beats Airbender."

Eventually, I got Sokka to join me in some hand-to-hand training. Just as I block a punch he had thrown my way and we back up a bit Sokka starts talking, "So I was thinking,"

"Oh, that's dangerous." I chuck Sokka's club at him for him to progress the training. 

He chuckles before continuing, "About this Shinigami stuff. I don't really understand it all, do you?" He asks as he takes a swing at my head, I dodge and send a punch of my own at the boy.

"I don't know." I huff, "I mean, I know it was just some name that the fire nation gave me, to distance myself from the water tribe I guess." I explain as Sokka twists me around to put me in a headlock.

"I mean why, what did they keep you for and why specifically you?" 

I flip him over my shoulder and he lands on the floor on his back looking up at me, "Because I was the Dual Dragon and I don't know why me, maybe I'm just unlucky." Sokka blinks at me in shock, I can't decide if it is due to my win or my reveal. I hadn't realised till I said it that I hadn't shared my dreams of Kyoshi island with anyone till I said it and by then it was too late to take it back. I walk over to him and offer him a hand up, "Also, I win."

"Yeah, yeah." Sokka grabs my hand and drags me down to the floor with him, "Nothing is down to just luck. Nothing is that simple. Just like this fight." He says as he gets to his feet and points his club at me.