Chapter One

I stare at the stick with a small red cross on it. My heart falls to the my feet when I see it and I swallow hard.

Oh my god. This thing must be wrong. This stick must be broken or something...

But something within me tells me that, yes, this is it. This is all those mornings you've been throwing up.

I still get up and pee on another stick. "You better not be wrong this time," I whisper to it.

Luckily, I'm alone at the apartment today. All my professors have cancelled their classes and my older sisters have gone to work or school. Nausea suddenly strikes up and I take deep, nervous breathes. I look up at the clock and wait anxiously for a minute to pass. It feels like an eternity.

What will happen if it's positive? How am I going to tell him?

I let out a sigh and take out my phone. My finger lingers on his phone number. But I fearfully put my phone away instead and hold the bridge of my nose as a headache starts.

If I'm not pregnant then something must be wrong with me.

I look up at the clock and my stomach flips as two minutes have passed by. I close my eyes and take the stick in my hand. I let out a sigh and open my eyes only to to see the same positive sign.

Uh oh.

My stomach flips once again and I quickly put the pregnancy test to the side as I run to the toilet.

At least I know why I've been so sick lately.

I flush the toilet and groan at the uneasiness in my stomach. But a gasp escapes my lips when the front door opens. "Honey! I'm home!" It's my sister, Anna. I quickly wash my hands and step out of the bathroom with a fake smile.

"Why hello there! You're glowing today!" I would've laughed at this joke an hour ago but the joke is a little harsh for me right now.

I still do an awkward chuckle and say, "Right. How was school today?"

"Fine, I guess. It wasn't as exciting as last week where we actually had to work with kids." Once again, my heart jumps at the mention of children. My sister is good with children. She's planning to be a social worker in the children's area. She should be okay with the news right?

I watch as Anna puts down her bag and goes through the cabinets for something to eat. I can barely look at any kind of food right now. So I take a cup and fill it up with water instead.

"Hey. Didn't you have school today?" Anna says.

"I did, but my professors cancelled classes last minute. I guess that was a win for me."

"Anybody could use a break. I know I could use one. What did you do all day then?"

"Ummm." My mind quickly makes up a lie from all the nervous conversations I've been having with myself and the trip to the pharmacy. "Um. I....just did homework?"

Anna looks up at me from her bowl of fruit and frowns. Her dark blue eyes study me with suspicion. "Are you alright? You look a little pale."

"I-I'm fine." I have an urge to faint but I give her a weak smile, and start towards my room instead.

"Oh wait! Viv!" I stop and turn around with clammy hands. She comes towards me and puts a hand on my forehead. "I don't even know why I'm doing this if you're always cold, but just in case, right?"

I clear my throat and give her a smile. "Right. I'm just going to take a nap. I haven't been feeling myself lately."

"Should I make you some tea?" She tenderly runs a thumb on my cheek and I smile at the sudden gesture. I have an urge to cry at this gesture, but I nod and push it aside. "Sure," I say to her. "That would be nice."

"Alrighty!" Her usual jumpy and excited personality comes back as she starts a pot to warm up water. She hums a joyful melody and I take this distraction to run to my room.

I close the door behind me and tears suddenly start to spill. What am I going to do? What do I have to do?!

I start pacing around in my room as I wipe away these stupid tears. What is he going to say? I don't have a lot of friends to worry about people talking about me, but it's only three people in my life I'm worried about.

Especially Shaun. He left his girlfriend a year ago for me. Is this going to change the relationship we have? What if I lose him forever this time?

Panic starts in my veins and I sit down. Nausea shoots up again and I take a breath. I could really use that tea right now.

Eventually, my heart beat goes back to normal and my sister comes in with a steaming mug. I smile up at her with gratitude and take the mug with happiness. This warmth against my cold hands really makes me feel better.

But I realize that it isn't the hot mug in my hands. It's the love she's put in it for me. I look at her as she sits on the edge of my bed and watches me take small sips of tea. Despite of our silence, it's like we fill up our hearts with the love we have for each other.

My sisters found me through the United Worlds and Force Facility. I was a refugee there along with Shaun. In fact, Shaun and I have been best friends all our lives. We've shared the same experiences, the same impacts, the same abilities....

But when my sisters arrived for me, I was angry at first. I already had my best friend with me. Well, he was odd with me because at the time he was dating this genius meta-human. She was the perfect girlfriend obviously. I still don't get why he left those two years of relationship with her for me....

Going back to my sisters, I never realized that I wasn't complete until they arrived two years ago. They fought for me. They reached out to me until I was ready to take their hands. And it might just be the best thing I've done in my life.

Maybe they will understand, right? They've shown that they will be with me through the ups and downs of my life. So I hesitate before saying anything to Anna. I wait for a sign that she will not yell at me or give me a disappointed face.

Just as I'm about to say something. She stands up and does a contented sigh. Her hazelnut hair falls to her side as she comes over and kisses my forehead. She gives me a playful smile before stepping out of my room and saying, "We don't want you to get a cold now, do we?" She gives me a small wink and I giggle at her joke. Suddenly my heart becomes lighter.

Then my mind takes me take to the little person growing inside of me. If there's someone I will tell my secret, it will be Anna first.