Chapter Thirty Five

I think I'm going to die. It feels like it.

My head is covered in sweat now as the pain shoots back faster and faster. I copy Kitty's breathing exercises as she holds my hand firmly. I moan and groan. I let out cries of pain at one point that Shaun quickly presses the button for help and Carol calmly walks in.

"Hey kiddo. How are you feeling?"

"How does it look like she's feeling?" Shaun responds for me as I hold on the sides of my bed in pain. I moan loudly as Carol gently cleans my sweated brow. "She's in pain! Do something!"

"I can't use anymore epidural on her. She can't receive anymore or else it could hurt your baby..." Carol finishes up with my brow and goes into the monitor by my side that has my baby's heartbeat. I take out a shaky hand and Shaun quickly kisses it. "Just hang on a little longer, okay sweetie?" he whispers in my ear.

"You're baby looks very healthy and ready to make her grand entrance!" Carol says with a wide smile. I groan and look away from her stupid face. I want to punch her.

Shaun rubs my belly comfortingly and looks back at Carol. "Where's Doctor Aaron? Why isn't she here?"

Just before Carol can respond, I hear the door open and I look up to see Doctor Aaron come in. Her face showing sternness as a girl in light blue scrubs comes in just behind her. Aaron gives me a warm smile as she sits by my side. I let out a breathe and weakly say, "Hi Doctor Aaron. You think the little one is ready to come out?"

Doctor Aaron gently wipes my brow and says, "Don't worry. You will be holding your baby girl very soon." She looks up at the girl in light blue scrubs. As my vision goes back to normal, I recognize her from the facility as well. In fact, she's part of the gifted group of students in the medical center of the facility.

The girl goes over to Carol and takes in all the notes from earlier. Her green eyes look over Carol's notes and nods at Aaron. Doctor Aaron looks back at me and smiles. "We will be moving you somewhere else, okay?"

"Wh-where are you taking her?" Shaun says frantically. Doctor Aaron gently tells him, "Don't worry, dad. She will be fine. You can come with us if you want, but we're taking her to a separate room in the Birthing Center prepped for birth."

"So she's going to give birth now?" Nerves start up in my heart when Shaun asks this.

Doctor Aaron shakes her head at him. "No. She will soon, but not yet. We just want to prep her for anything just in case this beautiful lady comes in early!" She gives my belly a small rub.

Shaun lets out a nervous breathe and gives her a firm nod. "Okay. I'm staying with her. Is that okay?"

"Of course!" Doctor Aaron says to him. She looks over at the girl and nods at her. The girl then comes over to me and softly says, "Miss. I'm just going to be moving your bed so you don't have to get up. Carol here will be your nurse and Nurse Jordan will pass by your room as well once you've passed birthing stage. I will be here for your assistance as well."

I give her a small smile. Despite of her youth and her quiet gestures, I find comfort in her words that carry an African accent. "Thank you," I weakly whisper to her as she starts moving my bed out the room. She gives me a small smile that makes her green eyes shine. Filled with hope and passion for what she does.

I'm moved into a smaller room. It's scary. It makes me nervous and I can see this same feeling in Shaun's bright blue eyes. He looks at me instead to find comfort and kisses my lips. "Remember." I can feel his finger move my ring a little and says, "Listen to your heart."

I chuckle and weakly say, "I don't think that's the best sentence to use right now."

Shaun looks up at the monitor by my side and smiles. I know he's listening to the fast beats of her heart and looks back at me. "Then.....can you hear her heart?"