Chapter Thirty Six

I've never thought the cold would ever envelop me. I am the cold. But....I never thought I'd hate it.

The moment they took her from my chest, I hated the that cold feeling. She cried loudly, and my every muscle came back to life as I tried to sit up and take her back to my chest. The girl quickly takes my hand and gently says, "Miss. You need to let us clean her. She's beautiful and healthy. Congratulations."

My body trembles and my eyes look over to where a crying baby lays. I let out a shaky breathe and say, "I want her back. Please. Let me me hold her. She needs me."

"I know," the girl says. "But I promise you will have her in your arms for the rest of your life once we're done with her. You did great. Doctor Aaron is working on you. Dad can come over with me."

I've forgotten that Shaun had been quietly holding my hand. For the first time, he's left in a daydream as his eyes land on the small corner where they have my baby. He looks up at the girl in blue scrubs and nods. "I want to be with my baby. Will Vivica be okay?" He finally looks back at me and does that warm smile of his.

"You may come, Mister. Vivica is going to be okay. No sign of hemorrhage. Congratulations to the both of you." The girl goes over to the small bed where Carol is working on my baby with another nurse that just entered.

Shaun looks at me and his shock slowly disappears as he lays a long and sweet kiss on my lips. "I'm so proud of you," he whispers. "You were amazing. I love you. I love you."

"It's good to be reminded," I say with a smile.

Shaun does a soft chuckle and lets out a breathe that seemed as if he's been holding in this whole time. "I'm going to meet my favorite fan."

"Go," I say tiredly. "Go follow her and make sure they bring back my baby...." Shaun lays one last kiss on my lips and runs after the nurses.

The last thing I hear before I fall asleep is Aaron's words. "Congratulations, Vivica. God has been so good to you...."

When I wake up, my legs aren't bent anymore and my belly has slowly disappeared. My heart then paces and I sit up quickly to look for a baby. My baby.

Shaun comes up to me and takes my hand. "Hey. Hey. Don't use up all your strength there."

I lay a hand on my head as a shot of pain runs up like a headache of how quick I sat up. "Ugh. You're right. Wait!" I look around and panic runs through my heart. "Where is she? Where's my baby?"

"She's okay," Shaun says with a smile that makes his eyes shine. "She's gorgeous, Viv. She looks just like you."

A tear escapes my eye and I sadly say, "I don't want them to take her away from me. Why aren't you with her?"

"They told me to come back here. I went to let your sisters and Kitty know the news, and then I came back after I gave them the baby clothes we separated for her. They're just getting her ready."

"But what if she's hungry? Or scared? Or cold?"

Shaun lays a kiss on my head. "She's okay. I promise. I left making sure she's alright."

My heart suddenly feels empty as my hand instinctively goes to my flat belly. I let out a small sob and Shaun wraps an arm around my shoulders. "She's going to be back. I promise. Aaron is taking good care of her."

My heart jumps at the sound of our door opening. I look up to see Doctor Aaron smiling at me while the girl slowly brings in a small bed. A smile slowly starts at my lips and my arms urge for her tiny body as Aaron says, "Hello mom! We're back! And she's all yours now!"