Chapter Thirteen

So I've been experiencing new things as I stepped into my sixth month of pregnancy last week.

Surely, my increased appetite has stayed the same. Every time my stomach has a second of being empty, it feels as if I haven't eaten for days. So I've continued on with the healthy snacks and eating big meals only in the mornings and in the evenings. Even Shaun has the hang of this pattern as I see him take out various snacks from his bag to offer me. The other week he took out this new protein bar I had never tasted before. It was covered in chocolate and the inside had this soft yellow substance that tasted like honey. God, I loved that small thing. I just had to get another one. But there is something new even to this.

According to Doctor Aaron, my baby now has fully developed taste buds and can taste the fluids inside the placenta that has like a small glimpse of whatever I eat and runs through my bloodstream. I didn't really understand her at first, but I've noticed that lately I've been craving a lot of raisins and grapes. So along with my pile of snacks for school, I have boxes of raisins in there. It's surprising that I can eat about five or six boxes of raisins a day.

Yet, whenever I'm in the middle of going through my box of raisins or my plate of grapes, I start to feel my belly move in a jumpy or excited manner. I understand it now. These cravings I have are what she likes! For example, there was this one night where I happened to have woken up in the middle of nowhere.

At first I was confused to the reason from my awakening, but then my stomach growled and I understood the little lady's intentions. So I quietly walked to the kitchen and looked into the fridge for literally anything.

However, I found myself frowning and looking into the cupboards for Shaun's protein bar. I knew I had some more of those delicious protein bars that Shaun gave me. But a sigh of frustration escaped my lips when I found none. A small rumble of my stomach awoken the little one and she started moving around in there. Now with her awake, it was impossible to deny that I was craving for that stupid bar.

Yes. I was getting angry at the thought that I had no reach of those bars and I paced the kitchen trying to find a solution. Then an idea popped up in my head and I quickly went back to my room to call Shaun. Though I did hesitate for a little. I didn't want to wake him up just for a craving. But then that craving just made me press on his number anyways. The phone rang several times until a quiet voice said, "Hello? Vivica? Are you okay?"

"Heyyy baby," I whispered with a hint of embarrassment. "Did I wake you up?" He does a small chuckle and my heart jumps at the sound of it. I'm sure that if she could hear him through a phone, she would recognize his voice and start her kicking show.

"Well now I am," he said. "Do you need anything, love?"

"Umm. Well this is gonna sound a little funny, but I need you to do me a favor."

I could hear him gulp down his water and say, "Yeah sure, love. What is it that you need?"

"Do you happen to have anymore of those protein bars you give me at school?"

"I do. Do you want me to take some tomorrow, too?"

"I actually wanted to know if you can bring me one right now...."

"Right now? As in right now at your house at two in the morning?"

Embarrassment came even worse at the surprised tone in his voice. But his child was eagerly waiting for her share of food tonight and I said, "Mhm.....That is exactly what I mean. Yes."

I was expecting him to give me that silence like he usually does when he's surprised, but what he did was gently laugh as he said, "Sure, hun. I'll be right there in a little."