Chapter Thirty Four

I've never felt this nervous like I am now. A nurse I know from the facility takes us to a different room in the Birthing Center. It's more of a room for people that have just got out of surgery and are getting better.

She lays a hospital gown on the bed, and her smile makes her dark blue eyes shine. "Alright! Just change out and the doctor should be here in a little. Do you have any pain?"

"Thank you, Carol," I say to her as I hide my trembling hands. "I don't have any pain right now. I did at our place, but....not anymore."

Carol nods and smiles. "Okay. When you do, all you have to do is press this button and I will be right over to take care of you."

Shaun and I nod at her, and she quietly leaves. I look over at Shaun and he lets out a breathe. I put my hand on my quiet belly and say, "I'm scared...."

Shaun comes over and puts a kiss on my forehead. "I love you."

"You're nervous, too, aren't you?"

Shaun looks down at me and gives me a small smile. "I am, but through smoldering fires..."

I let my heart relax at his gentle smile as I say, "Through cold snowstorms..."

"Hand in hand..." He takes my hand and kisses my fingers. I chuckle and let my lips meet his again. I find strength in them and let my muscles relax for just a second.

Yet, nerves come back as he gently helps me get off the bed and I enter the bathroom to change into the hospital gown. When I come out, I see Kitty talking with Shaun. She has my baby's bag and she smiles widely when she sees me come out.

"Hey! How are you?! You okay?"

"I'm fine," I say softly. "I'm okay for right now. Have you told my sisters?" For the first time in a long time, I have a need to have them by my side right now.

Kitty sees this and puts gentle hands on my arms. "I have. They're on their way. You should have heard Anna. I can tell she's going to be the yelling kind of person."

I chuckle at this and give her a warm hug. "Thank you, Kitty. You don't know how much of a blessing you've been." A sharp pain goes up my belly and I grimace with a small groan.

Shaun quickly takes my elbows and guides me back to the bed. "Sweetheart? Do you want me to call in Carol?" Behind Shaun's head, I see Kitty watch me with worry.

"No," I say to him as the pain subsides slowly. "I'm fine. It was just a flare up. That's all."

I give him a small smile and he nods with worry shining in his beautiful eyes. He lays a hand on my belly and kisses it. "I love you," he whispers to it. "I can't wait to meet you...."

Soon after, my sisters walk in my room. I've decided to lay down on the bed instead as my back pains flare up as well. By now, I have monitors all over my sides, and a small sound of my baby's heartbeat echoes in the room combined with mine.

Shaun looks up from holding my hand and smiles at my sisters as they come over to kiss my cheek or forehead.

"I swear I thought I was going to find you agonizing already!" Anna says playfully. My heart shoots up with nerves and Indina gives her a slap on the arm. "Ouch!" she cries out and Indina firmly says, "We're here for support. Not to make her feel worse."

"I'm sorry! I thought joking around would make her feel better!"

I do a small laugh but I'm quickly interrupted by a shot of pain on my belly again. I wince and take a painful hold of my belly. This time, it stays a bit longer as my sisters come by my side and hold my hands.