The Coverup

Chapter Twenty-Eight

The Cover-up

Sometimes not having a choice is a blessing in disguise

Elisium.

The Fifth Loop, Year 391, 9th January (5L/391/1/9)

"HighCommander of Tenebra," Desmon scoffed while standing on the Bridge of Faith, the plate of sucipops mixed with kheshish still in his hands. "Some gluttonous demons will never understand that some clear consciences can't be bought."

A few hours ago, Desmond had asked the guard on duty to announce his arrival after entering Olivier's residence. The guard instead took him to a corner and whispered, "Before I announce your arrival, I request you to stand here for a few minutes."

Desmond didn't understand what the guard meant but then he heard some voices. The sounds from the dining room carried into the hall through a small overhead vent. Olivier had moved into the house just two days ago and was oblivious to the fact that the guards standing outside the dining room were hearing their every word.

Desmond quietly listened, as Olivier, intoxicated by his victory, gloated about his treachery. He gleefully recounted to Malcolm his masterful manipulation of Henry, his devious schemes to wreak havoc in this world, and his plan to overthrow Samuel to become the king.

"I wanted you to hear this. This crowing has been going on for hours. This demon will devour both these worlds. Commander, you are a man of honor, you must do something."

Desmond was carrying a plate of sucipops. He went to an army healer, his old friend, and mixed kheshish in the sweets. The healer warned him that an overdose could prove fatal but Desmond didn't care. If the two monsters died, it would be the best for the two worlds. Once both Olivier and Malcolm had collapsed Desmond called the guards.

"Carry them to their rooms. Just make sure that no one disturbs them before sunset tomorrow."

Desmond planned to buy some precious time for Aden—and also for King Samuel and his family. He climbed the fence and jumped into the whirlpool.

The next morning he was inside the Grand Palace, seated in front of his king. Desmond told Samuel the whole story of what happened from the massacre at riverbanks, the ambush, the rivers of blood, to that conversation between Olivier and Malcolm.

"You are sure, we don't want to tell the Council about this treachery?" Samuel asked.

"Your Highness, no one is going to believe you. Everyone will feel that you are trying to make Olivier a scapegoat because the mission took an ugly turn and he is not here to defend himself."

Samuel shook his head. "Holy Angels, my best friend has double-crossed me. I never imagined that Olivier could do something like this."

"He is a devilish conniver. He used everyone for his schemes. He compelled you to use the Right of the King while he remained neutral. He used Henry to do the bloodshed and always recused himself from giving such orders. He manipulated Andrews and William and many even Elisians claim that he killed them. He instigated Elisians against us. He did all this while maintaining a saint-like image so that no one could point a finger at him. "

"I never thought he wanted to become the King. Now in God's name, how do we salvage this situation."

Desmond sighed. "You have doomed yourself by using the Right of the King and you will have to face the consequences."

"Holy angels, I will become the first king in the history of Aden to be removed from his throne."

"You have a bigger problem. Olivier will try to convince the Council to not appoint the son of a disgraced mad king who slaughtered thousands—that is what he called you in front of Malcolm—as the next heir to the throne."