The Line of Lightning

Chapter Thirty-Seven

The Line of Lightning

The moments of glory don't come to you, but you have to seize those moments

Elisium

5L 21/19/5/21

"Sir, we have received a message from the storage facility. They are under attack."

The officer didn't even wait for HighCommander Christopher to properly open his eyes.

Christopher wasn't sure whether he should be happy that his guess was spot on, or worried about where this might lead to. But once again it was proved that he was a naturally gifted war tactician. Almost all his strategies turned out to be masterstrokes. Here too, Elisians fell into his trap. Now he must teach them a solid lesson to deter them from any future adventures. Although it was against his vow, it was the best he could do for the two worlds.

"Ring the emergency sirens and get troops ready to move."

"Already done sir. We should be ready to move in ten minutes."

"Good job. Who is In-charge of tonight's reinforcement troops?"

"Deputy HighCommander Alfred has decided to take the charge himself."

"Okay. Tell him I will be joining him on this mission as well. Let us check out what these rebels are up to."

Christopher was happy that Alfred was taking charge of this mission. Alfred was one of the most efficient Commanders of Aden's army and despite being just in his second cycle, he had quickly risen through the ranks. He was singled out to become the next HighCommander of Tenebra base.

Christopher hurriedly put on his army uniform and rushed towards their headquarters. Alfred was shouting instructions to his lieutenants. The Army convoy was ready and soldiers were climbing onto their respective vehicles.

"We will be ready to move in a few minutes. I have ordered all the other lieutenants to ready their troops as well. Just in case we require any more backup."

Christopher nodded. "Just remind our soldiers one more time, that they must shoot to kill. There have been far too many attacks for our liking and this time we must show them our true strength." Christopher hated bloodshed, but he wanted to send out a strong message to his adversaries to stop this war. Killing off armed rebels was much better than taking the war to the civilians.

"I've already told them that," Alfred replied. "This time we'll strike them so hard, that they will never think of entering our premises again, even in their wildest dreams."

***

Jennifer was dashing towards the front gate of the storage facility when Nathan lunged at her and pinned her to the ground. "What the hell are you trying to do?"

"We need to breach that gate quickly. Then only we will be able to get what we have come here for."

Nathan firmly held onto her. "I know that, but you are not getting involved here. You promised to stay away from the frontline and return to the tunnel as soon as you have done your job."

"You know you can't breach that gate without my help. This mission will fail if Jennifer does nothing.

"Hundreds of soldiers are firing incessantly at us from behind those concrete barricades and the watchtowers. The enemies were prepared for this attack and huge reinforcements will be arriving here any time soon. This mission has already failed. Our men are trapped and the best we can do is to get you safely out of here."