Rivers of Blood

Chapter Twenty-Six

Rivers of Blood

People who come begging for mercy should be prepared to rub their noses in the dirt

Elisium

The Fifth Loop, Year 491, 5th January (5L/491/1/5)

"Seven years without my bickering wife will be absolute bliss," Ben said to Jonas, his friend, comrade, and one of the four hundred unfortunate men who had been assigned the night watch. Everyone was exhausted after the battle at the riverbanks and the torturous journey on the horrible dirt road and wanted a good night's sleep, but Ben and Jonas's battalion were designated this wretched task.

"But dear Ben, that also means seven years without any..." An arrow pierced Jonas's throat. Before Ben could understand what was happening soldiers started to fall all around him.

A couple of arrows also hit Ben, but his armor protected him from any fatal wounds.. Ben lunged forward to grab the bugle from his friend who was now lying in a pool of his blood. He raised the alarm and heard the same warning sounds from different spots. They were under attack from all sides.

Aden's army had been blocked on a strip of road surrounded by dense forest on both sides. Thick cloud cover overhead meant there was no visibility. Aden's soldiers on night duty had lit up small lamps and had become easy targets for the enemies lurking in the dark.

Henry rushed out of his tent to monitor the situation. His men were shooting into the darkness without much success but their enemies were hitting the targets.

"Switch off the lights, you fools," Henry shouted. "You all are like sitting ducks for target practice."

All the lights were put out and darkness engulfed everything to turn it into an even battlefield. Elisians were still raining arrows but their success rate had dropped and Adeners were now hitting back.

Henry swiftly gathered his commanders. "We split into units of five companies each, and systematically comb the bushes. Shoot to kill. Their little surprise is now over and let's show them their place—under the dirt."

Olivier and Malcolm came out of their tents and joined Henry. "It looks like your generous one-night offer cost us many lives here." Olivier taunted Malcolm.

"I will make them pay dearly for each of my soldiers they have killed." Henry's veins were throbbing, his teeth were bare. He was like a wounded beast ready to rip apart his attacker. "You both, better stay inside the armored trucks. The last thing I want is one of our high-profile ministers getting killed by some stray arrows."

Olivier waved him away. "We can take care of ourselves, you better take care of this situation."

Henry split up his troops and they spread inside the forest. Their eyes got accustomed to the darkness and now they too had cover, much larger numbers, and far better weapons. This wasn't just a fight between two armies, it was a battle between two worlds from two different eras.

Sounds of heavy gunfire echoed around the bushes. Both armies suffered casualties, but soon the guns overshadowed the bows. Tens of bullets followed every single arrow and hunted down the shooter. Mighty slew the weak as futuristic Adeners gunned down Elisians stuck in the past. No one was given a chance to surrender or flee. There was no sympathy or mercy. Just hostility, arrogance—and death.

The battle which had started at midnight continued till dawn. Aden's troops cleared the forest of all the savages. They killed every one of the monsters, except a priced catch, and finally, the sounds of gunfire stopped.