Snippets of Hope: XVIII.

Forgive yourself. You have always managed to be soft with other people, why then do you lose this ability to forgive when it comes to you? Aren't you worthy and deserving of the endless chances you give others?

It's funny how a silly word like forgiveness can restore peace and control to your life yet its absence takes from you, leaves you with a feeling of emptiness. Forgiving yourself and others is hard but let it all go.

Now, how do you forgive yourself? Start by being accountable. Address your inner pain. Mourn. Let go of resentment. Reconcile. Stop blaming yourself. Learn. Look at life through the lens of love instead of hate and bitterness. Grow.

You might wonder why you have to give a clean slate to these same people who have always caused you pain. The answer is simple: you are doing it for you. Forgiveness takes place in your mind, it has nothing to do with the other person. It doesn't justify their actions, it stops their actions from destroying your heart. It takes back their power to hurt you.

While you toy with this idea of forgiveness, you might wonder if it means letting people back into your life? No. Yes. Maybe. Forgiveness doesn't always require reconnection. Sometimes all it brings you is closure, peace of mind and the ability to move on. Other times, it means you have to let people back in.

Search your heart, try to figure out why you keep giving so much to things or people that only bring you pain, sadness and anger. As long as you don't forgive yourself, you are powerless against their toxicity and they will keep taking from you until there's nothing left for you to give.

It's hard to relive the memories. To ponder on the hows and whys you were dealt a cruel hand. You may need to go through even more painful stages to finally let go but in the end it will all be worth it.

As you walk life's road today, seek the strength to let go of things that don't bring you peace, the courage to walk out on people who drain you and the grace to be whole again. You are not alone.

 You are not alone