CHAPTER 22

Taeil inspected the papers carefully, reading all the information. "The gas is man-made, so it will definitely need time to mature" he said, "And don't forget the fact that we have to test on humans as well. That is the only way we can be sure that this gas is marketable."

Hendery cleared his throat nervously, "Kanye, the gas in fact has been tested on humans, but it didn't go to well. It shrunk their tissues and organs and disabled the heart." He said in a slight whisper.

Doyoung felt sick just by hearing that. Shrunken tissues and disables hearts? How many victims did this gas claim.?

Taeil raised his eyebrows, "Then how is this gas still allowed to exist? Don't the protocols call for it to be removed completely? "

Hendery laughed, a beautiful one.

He looked upon the two with tender eyes, "How naive you two are! All the leaders of the world want this gas to be successful, hence we can experiment as much as we want." He ended cheekily.

"I see" Taeil said, "Very well. Show us the experiments first though. And the records as well." Hendery nodded, leading the two to a hatch in the corner of the room.

"Forgive the secrecy, but it is needed." Hendery said as the other two just nodded. He opened the hatch to reveal a stairway towards a dark bottom. They got down the stairs in a slow manner, carefully taking notes of its appearance.

As they went deeper and deeper, disturbing sounds of gurgling and machinery became louder and louder. Then a dim green light broke through the darkness, growing brighter as they went further.

"Here we are!" said Hendery, "Our main experiment laboratory, the proud jewel of NstateT." Taeil stepped in first, showing no surprise on his face.

On the other hand, Doyoung was repulsed.

Inside the room, were huge containers with scans and controls. Within them, were humans. Awake and breathing, yet none seemed alive.

Their deep eyes were bored with despair, their bald heads beaded with sweat. They eyed Doyoung with those dark eyes as he walked towards the table at the centre.

Doyoung felt a sense of pity, these humans were probably orphans or the lonely ones on the street that no one cared about. They lay collapsed in the containers waiting for death, yet no one cared for them.

No one asked for them. To the society, they were not even born.

"Don't linger around Doyoung" Taeil pushed him to the front and took in the reports. "They survived?" He asked Hendery, hoping for some positivity. Hendery shook his head, "They haven't been tested on yet, Kim. But, hopefully they will survive."

Oh, so these people are the laboratory rats.

Doyoung didn't want to know what the gas will turn them into.

Taeil cleared the notes of the table and placed them in a pile, "Release the gas in them." He said. To this, Hendery turned his head, "Already?" He asked. "They just came in yesterday."

Already? Kill them already? But the rats are still new.

"Yes" Taeil said, "we need to know how the gas will work on people fresh from the ground." Hendery looked suspicious, but still nodded. He reached towards a small lever with a scale beside it and pulled it down completely.

Then the sound of gushing filled the room. A pale neon gas filled three of the eight containers. The three unlucky men shot up at the sight of the new gas. Their eyes turned bright in fear as they pounded against the walls of their enclosure.

The gas didn't stop flowing, it went on and on in a steady flow till it filled the entire container with its neon colour. An epoch of silence stood as the gas slowly started to revert back, displaying the men's outlines.

The men stood plastered on the walls, their faces now young and beautiful, their skin perfect like porcelain. But that was not the main attraction.

Covered in perfect skin, were their shrunken bodies, and cracked bones. Their eyes now completely dead, no colour nor light.

They died beautiful indeed.

In perfect faces, in the most gruesome manner.

________________________________

The plot is going to go real quick from now on.

Also, don't forget to wear masks and gloves and stay healthy.