21

Disclaimer: This chapter is sorta long and get your tissues ready. 🤧

Nobody's POV
Thursday

Today Tamar and Toni had to take their grandmother to the doctor for her normal check-up. She had to go pick up Tamar from her house then pick up her grandma, Phylicia.

"Hey, Tay."

"Hey T. Kenny let you go out?"

"Please. Why y'all act like I'm a baby?"

"Cause he's obsessed with you."

"Yes, he let me go out. Any more questions?"

"Nope just drive."

***

Toni's grandmother's house

"Grandma!" Toni called walking inside her house.

"In the living room." They walked inside the living room and found their grandmother watching 'Good Times.' The episode where Penny's mother came back.

"Hey, favorite." Phylicia said hugging Tamar.

"I thought you said that you didn't have any favorites."

"Girl you know I be lying." She got up and turned off the tv.

C'mon, let's go." They helped her in the car and drove to the doctor's office.

***

Doctors office

After the doctor saw Phylicia, he ran some tests and went back into the room they were in.

"I got the test results back. Can I speak to one of you guys alone?" He asked pointing between Toni and Tamar.

"I'll go." She got up and walked out of the room with the doctor.

"I got your grandmother's test results back and she already knows this but her pancreatic cancer is getting worse."

"Wait. Pancreatic cancer? You have to run the tests over. My grandmother doesn't have pancreatic cancer."

"Oh, you didn't know? I told your sister the last time they came. I think her name was Towanda."

"Yeah, that's her name. How long has she been battling pancreatic cancer for?"

"She's been battling it for about 3 years. Your grandmother has been taking chemotherapy but since I told her that the cancer was spreading and getting worse Phylicia decided didn't want the chemotherapy anymore. She states that 'When God wants her, he'll just get her.'" The doctor explained and Toni shook her head her tears threatening to leave her eyes.

"How long does my grandma has to live?"

"About 6 months."

"You are not telling me the truth." She whispered.

"About a month. Maybe even less since it's spreading rather faster than we thought. If Phylicia takes the chemotherapy she'll live up to 6 months maybe even a year."

***

"Grandma, why didn't you tell me that you have cancer?" Toni asked once they got back in the house.

"You have cancer?!" Tamar asked on the verge of tears.

"I didn't want you guys to worry."

"How are we not supposed to worry?" They asked at the same time.

"Does mom know that you are sick?"

"Yes. I was gonna tell you guys, I didn't want y'all to find out this way."