six

The sun shined through the blinds, filling the room. My eyes popped open, staring at the ceiling as the cold air chilled my skin and a naked Callie laid next to me, sleeping soundly.

Her eyelids fluttered open as she flashed a small smile. I stretched, sitting up and against the headboard.

"Holy shit.." she lightly gasped.

"We really did that."

"Yeah, Cal, we did. No awkward moments, friends, right?"

"Of course, honey."

A little weird, right? Not for us. This wasn't the first time Callie and I slept together. I didn't know how to explain it but there was this connection.

It's like there's this chemistry or attraction between us but we aren't physically attracted to each other like with our spouses.

As we put on our clothes, someone knocked at the door. Callie looked through the peephole, lowly gasping. She quickly turned around with a panicked expression.

"What!?" I asked, alarmed.

"Catherine's here as in here, at your door. Oh, God."

"Closet, go, now." She grabbed her shirt and shoes, running into the closet.

I buttoned my jeans, smoothing over my clothes and opening the door. Catherine smiled widely, tightly embracing me.

"Oh, honey. How are you doing, sweetie? You never responded to any of my texts so I figured I'd surprise you and oh.." she stopped when she noticed the messy room.

"I see.. you're taking this quite well."

"Yes, I just had to let the emotions out. I feel much better but I have to get to work so-"

"Oh, you feel better already? Honey, you know how can talk to me. I won't tell Jackson anything you say."

"I know, Catherine. I-"

"Come sit, let's talk now." She took my hand, leading me to the bed.

A loud thump sounded in the closet. Our heads snapped to the door, my eyes widening.

"What was that?" Catherine took a step toward the closet.

"That sounded like one of my bags. I didn't know how much time I'd need so I packed a lot and stuffed it in the closet."

"I can help you sit some of them out here, if you'd like."

"Oh, no, that's okay."

"Oh, okay. I came to talk to you about something. The foundation is having one of it's annual galas next weekend, some of the donors requested your presence."

"Why?"

"You're a world-class neonatologist, and my daughter-in-law."

"So, what you came to ask was if I'd be Jackson's eye candy and make you both look good?" I rephrased her statement.

She hesitantly nodded.