forty

"Mom! Dad's making chocolate chip pancakes, want some!?" Rae yelled, jumping on me.

"Hey, Raegan Kimora Avery, sit down." He said, coming toward us.

"Sorry, daddy."

"Hey, babe, you hungry?"

"No." I looked at JJ who nibbled on his pacifier.

I got up, folding my blanket and throwing it on the end of the couch. I grabbed my phone, responding to messages before going to take a shower.

It was our day off so we got to spend it with the demons. I wanted time away from them but I missed them so much whenever we weren't together.

I put my hair in a bun, adjusting my shorts then sitting on the couch. My phone wasn't in my hands, meaning it was still in the bathroom. As I went down the hall, JJ cried.

I came back into sight and he stopped. Avoiding a time consuming battle with the baby, I picked him up, taking him with me and coming back.

"How come he does that? I'm his dad, and he doesn't do that with me." Jackson asked, sitting next to us. 

"I'm his mother."

"Well, yeah."

"I'm his comfort, all he's ever known. He's been attached to me for so long.. this big, scary world can get overwhelming and he needs his comfort."

"Yeah, okay. I get that.."

"Is that grandma?" Rae asked, hearing someone knock at the door.

"Why is grandma coming over, Rae?"

"She always comes over."

"Let's see.. it's-" Jackson opened the door, stopping at the sight of Robert.

"Hey, son.." he said.

They stood there for a minute before Robert pushed open the door.

"Dad?" Raegan went over to him.

"You must be Raegan. I'm your grandpa, Robert." He said, bending down to her level.

"No, he's not." Jackson said, picking her up and moving away from him.

"Get out."

"It's nice to see you too, Jackson."

"What are you even doing here?"

"I thought I'd drop by. Surprised to hear that my father died."

"Mom said she told you." Robert laughed.

"Son, I haven't talked to your mother since I left Seattle."

"That still doesn't explain what you're doing here."

Knocks at the door interrupted their conversation. I went over, opening the door to see Catherine and Richard.