31.

Leaving the small town, the group made the long walk down the highway. It lead straight to Houston.

Miles of cars littered the road. Lauren led the group with Jacob guarding the back for any surprises.

"You'd think there would be more zombies." Billie says to Lauren. "They're more than likely in Houston or-." Lauren cuts herself off as she points to a car with a pair of zombies locked inside, "Like that."

"Camila, are we gonna meet your wife?" Dustin asks. Everyone tries not to but eventually looks at Camila. She frowns, "I don't think I'd like to get my hopes up."

Ally pats her back, "We will find her." Camila smiles at Ally and nods. "Can we take a break? We have been walking for hours now and it's fucking hot." Billie complains to Lauren.

Lauren turns around and looks at everyone's sweaty faces. The rain brought the humidity, so she wasn't surprised they were all hot. "Yes but only for five minutes."

The group all sit down in the shade some of the cars provided. Ally sits down and looks at Levi. "Hey bubby, what's going on?"

The little baby looks at Ally with wet eyes and a red nose. "Oh no..." Ally says softly, but even Lauren heard it. She gets up, and goes to them, "What's wrong?"

Ally presses her hand against Levi, "I think he might be catching a cold...probably from the flood waters and the rain." She says. Ally pulls out his cough medicine, and mixes it with his bottle. "He will be out for a few hours but at least he will feel better...hopefully."

Lauren could sense the worry, "He will be okay...let me hold him for a while I'll cover him up." Ally nods and gives the baby to Lauren.

They begin to walk down the road again. It was definitely going to be a cardio work out.

-

"So then I said, no Mr.Trump! You're fired!" Ally laughs at Jacob's joke, as she retreated to the back. Lauren tries to keep it together but even Dustin could tell she didn't like that.

They finally got the viewing of Houston after walking for five hours straight. A relief was an understatement. They were almost to sanctuary.

"Camila, where are we gonna go?" Lauren asks and Camila pulls out her map, "It seems like we have to cut through the zoo to get to the med center, that's the fastest way."

Lauren nods, "Lets just hope we don't find any zombified lions or something." Dustin laughs and says, "Don't be scared of a little pussy cat."

"You're right...if I need some bait I'll gladly volunteer you." Lauren says, scaring Dustin to retreat back to Ally. "Scary daddy," Camila chuckles, "That's what Dinah would say about you behind your back."

Lauren rolls her eyes, "Great she still knows how to impact my life without even saying anything." Lauren then smiles. Thinking of Dinah and when they first met at the stadium made her heart ache. Yes Dinah was annoying most days but she was Lauren's first friend in a long time.

"You're missing her too huh?" Camila asks and Lauren nods, "That obvious?" Camila nods and hugs her, "She has that effect on people."

-

By the afternoon, the group made it to the zoo. "So we just open these big ass gates and stroll in?" Dustin asks.

Jacob looks at the gate lock, "I can pick this." He puts his stuff down and proceeds to work on the big lock. "You know what I'm surprised we haven't seen any zombies." Chloe says to Billie.

Billie nods, but before she answers she hears a rumble. Like a gurgling sound. Lauren also hears this before anyone and now she has her gun pointed into the open. There was trees and bushes surrounding them so anything could pop out.