The Ersatz Elevator

Selena's P

Selena's P.O.V

We ran down the streets in search of the restaurant and then came to screeching halt. Arlo stopped beside me huffing in and out. I watched the familiar car drive by and tapped his shoulder.

"Why did we stop?" he asked looking at me in question.

"That's the limousine, they're already heading back so early. Why?" I shook my head, "That doesn't matter now, we have to stop Count Olaf from finding out we know where the Quagmires are."

With that being said we sprinted our way back. Ugh, exercise.

Lucky for us we didn't make it that far from the hotel. Quickly making a beeline for the door we were met with a very unusual sight.

Esmé walked down the stairs humming happily....

"What happened?" Arlo voiced beside me.

She turned to us with wide eyes.

"Oh Jerome just bumped his head so I carried him home. Too much wine. Now where are the other three?" 

"Oh right. We found them-"

"Who?" Esmé asked dumbly.

"Hey watch it!!" A voice yelled from above.

As if God was on our side, Klaus, Violet and Sunny came rushing down the stairs.

"Where's Jerome?!" They spoke at once.

"Oh my, let's take this upstairs shall we." Esmé motioned us along. 

Shouldn't we be going in the other direction to alert the authorities and where in the world is the front desk guy?

"Where's Jerome?" Klaus asked me as we walked up.

"Oh he had too much to drink. Knocked out." I told him.

We were now on the top floor and she blocks the door.

"Oh no no let him rest. Sleep is natural like cosmetics or frivolous lawsuits." 

"We need to tell him." Klaus insisted.

"Tell me everything. I'm important." she smiled.

There was an awkward pause and for once she seemed to notice how reluctant we really are, "And you are important to me."

I raised my brow at that. She has a funny way of showing it. Arlo almost laughed and I quickly elbowed him in the side.

"I know i seem like an insanely powerful woman who spends too much time at work and too much money on earrings but I'm also your guardian. you can tell me anything." she said calmly.