Chapter 38: Catching flights

When I left that night, Ava and I shared a brief goodnight kiss

When I left that night, Ava and I shared a brief goodnight kiss. But she told me she first needs to find herself before rushing into something new.

Which I totally respect.

But I haven't heard from her since. After I messaged that I was home safely, thanking her for dinner, that was it.

I guess I was expecting more.

Unreasonable and unrealistic, I know. I put myself out there, offered to be there for her and instead I got radio silence.

I was, however, happy to hear that Ava and Gianna met up for lunch sometime that week. And by the sounds of it all was forgiven.

I keep thinking, hoping... fuck it, I'm praying Ava hasn't gone back to cock face Gabe. She seemed so resolute and looked like she had her mind set, but I don't know. He's a manipulative snake and I hope he hasn't slithered his way back into her head or bed.

Urgh!!! I feel sick just thinking about either.

Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Maybe I should simply respect the process. She does need to heal. I mean, I'm the one who told her that in the first place.

Doesn't mean I've stopped thinking about her.

Doesn't mean I'm not a complete mess.

Again.

_____________

At the airport, gearing for a fun weekend away with the development program, my heart swells with excitement when I see Adam, coincidentally bumping into him as he was walking out of the gents. I know that it means seeing Ava again, but being around Adam just makes me feel better.

I knew I'd be seeing them this weekend; from the second Adam told me, I put two and two together.

Adam sets out to find his mom, dragging me along behind him. He's a firecracker, this one. But, I'm as anxious as he is excited, and I'm honestly not sure if Ava's going to be happy to see me or not.

"Mom, look who I bumped into!" Adam tugs on Ava's hand excitedly.

"What did I tell you about speaking to stran—" She turns to face this bad bout of stranger danger, and instead, finds me.

"Jamie." I can't help but notice the slight disappointment in her tone.

"Nice to see you too, Ava." I scoff. But she shakes her head, smiling politely and gives me a rather stiff peck on the cheek.