Chapter 35: She/Her

Tip-toeing around Alexia's bed, I carefully switch on her night lamp and turn back to tuck her in again for good measure, kissing her dark messy hair as she lets out a cute little snore

I had to make sure my goddaughter was well fed since Antonio is out of town for a few days, and I wasn't about to leave my Alexia alone to her mother's abysmal cooking.

Gianna is cleaning up and I swear that's about the best thing she can do in the kitchen. She smiles her thanks, and slides over a cuppa as she listens to what I'm assuming is a voice note with a frown on her face.

"Everything alright?"

"Hmm I don't know. Sebastian tried calling me and I can't hear a thing he's saying. Sounds like he's in a club or something." Gianna shrugs. "Oh, here he is again.

"Hi babe... yes I can hear you a bit better now. Oh Elderbrook? Is Ava with? She loves him."

My heart jolts when I hear her name. And I fucking hate that it does. I've been in a good space. Haven't had a drink or smoke since my last conversation with her. I won my first race in Melbourne and I've been nailing my simulation practices for Bahrain. I've been pretty confident that my detox has been successful.

Until I hear her name.

"What do you mean Ava is drunk?" Gianna looks at me in shock and I shrug, too. She puts Sebastian on speaker and there's the trademark sounds of loud, thumping music blaring in the background.

"Yep white girl wasted!"

"But Ava doesn't drink."

"Well, I'm just reporting on what I'm seeing, babe, and on a scale of one to white girl wasted she is Lindsay Lohan..."

Gianna gasps loudly.

"In Mykonos!"

"Fuck." Gianna looks as mortified as I feel.

"We came here with Ava, but there's no way she's fit to drive. I've had a few drinks too, but I'm not getting behind the wheel, let alone my boss's. We can grab an Uber but I'm worried about leaving her car here."

"Ok, so why are you calling me?" Gianna asks the obvious.

"Well, we've got an extra ticket. I thought you could maybe come through, enjoy the show and drive Ava's car and it's pissed owner back to your place or I can book her into a hotel for the night if you don't want to deal with Drunk Ava."

"I don't know Sebastian. Ava and I haven't exactly been on speaking terms. Plus Antonio is out of town and I'll have no one to look after Alexia."

At this point I clear my throat and mouth to Gianna that I'll stay a while longer and look after Lexi. The two of them really do need to patch things up and they're both too proud to do something about it. It's the one thing I regret most about the whole saga.