[49]

First Person P.O.V

——

  I knew this was bad, really, really bad. 

  The decal on the side of the pearl white aircraft reached the floor, sand blowing everywhere. 

  The doors lowered and out came a handful of soldiers. WCKD was in no mood to negotiate, and it was obvious.

  Shots were fired from huge guns, landing everywhere, bouncing off of everything.

  I pulled Aris by the arm, ducking behind one of the large metal boxes filled with weapons. My hands shook, I was weak. I was also in no condition to fight.

  I choked up and gripped onto Aris, my nails digging into his arm. Everything hurt and my ears rung, like someone had taken a bell and shoved it into my head. 

  "I love you," I said, my eyes stinging. I didn't cry though, not yet. 

  "What?" Aris said loudly over the rounds of bullets.

  He didn't pull away from me though. "I said, I love yo-" I was cut off.

  I sucked in a breath, looking down at my now blood soaked shirt.  

  "Oh, god," I mumbled, wobbling a little. I heard faint voices call my name, but it didn't matter. I was sick anyway, I accepted it would happen at some point.

  Hands gripped my cheeks after dropping a knee against my stomach. Aris was trying to stop the bleeding. "You'll be okay," he assured, keeping the harsh pressure applied.

  "I'm not getting rid of you, not yet," he mumbled, pulling me in closer, and closer, and closer. 

  Our lips met and I could feel not my own tears, but his. His lips pressed against my own, his hands on my face, and I kissed back with the small amount of energy I still had left.

  I felt tired though and my eyes drooped as Aris pulled away from me.