Christmas (2020-21)

Sorry if your jewish, I am to actually (technically full but I say half because I celebrate Christmas too)

Also we will be baking and because I'm american we shall measure in frogs and paw prints. Basically anything but metric.

This is a filler so disregard if you so desire.

Anywho~~

   It is the best day of the year. Christmas Eve!! I always loved the anticipation more than the actual day. Today is the day we make cookies and create little chintzy ornaments.

   I skip down the stairs singing carols. "Good morning, Yukimi!" Mom works on Christmas too. The pay for holiday work is too good to pass up.

   "Morning! Are you ready for today!"

   "Yes! I can't wait to bake cookies!"

   "Alright, so you're gonna help me this year?" She poked my cheek

   ". . .No, I thought you could read between the lines." I smacked her hand away.

   "Oh, you're gonna watch, right?" I perked up at the voice and turned around. Kacchan was watching tv on the couch.

   "You're kidding, right." I say in a depressed voice. "Shouldn't you be with your family?"

   "Nope! They said I could come for Christmas Eve."

   I huffed at him.

   "But I'll teach you how to bake cookies. Making Yukimi do it all the time is just rude." He was in the kitchen after he left the couch.

   "Okay, and if I burn the house down? Or worse!! What if I but. The cookies!?"

   ". . .Why are you like this?"

   "I don't know."

   Yukimi giggled from behind me. I feel like whatever I do people are always laughing at me. I should do stand-up because at least then I'd get paid.

   "Okay, look." He said pointing to the recipe book he pushed across the counter. "Peanut butter cookies, literally nothing could be simpler."

   "Are you going to help us Yukimi?"

   "No, I'm going to make the gingerbread house structures."

   "Okay."

   Kacchan read out the ingredients and I went around the kitchen picking them out. "A bowl too." I grabbed one and slid it across the counter to him. "Cmere you can't do anything on the other side of the kitchen, moron."

   "Oh shut up!" I walk over and hit his head playfully. "What do we do now?"

   "First is the butter, just half a cup." I look at the box of butter we have there are 4 sticks in it. I look on the outside of the box for how much is in each, but it didn't say. I grab a measuring cup and a stick of butter.

   I try mushing the butter into the half cup so I can measure it properly. The stick was the perfect amount. I looked to Kacchan cheerily that I did it, but I have never seen a look of such utter disgust and secondhand embarrassment before.

   He lifted up the wrapper the butter was in and of course it said right on it the measurements. "I thought it was common knowledge one stick was half a cup." He said in disbelief, "but damn."

   "Shut up." I said getting the butter from the measuring cup to the bowl.

   "Okay, well. . . Half a cup of peanut butter too. Oh, and you do measure this one out."