Chapter 20

Hailey POV

As I opened the hospital door to Mace's room, I found him watching TV while he sat on his bed. It looked like nothing happened to him. He was very relaxed and he was at his usual state. When Chris knocked the door to signal our arrival, Mace turned to us. He first saw me and smiled. But when he saw Chris, it looked as if his mood suddenly changed.

 "Hey, Mace! So how are ya? You look good, better, even!" I chirped. I went near him and gave him a bear hug. I really missed him so much.

"Hey Hail. Hey Mace. I see both of you came to visit me. Together." Mace hinted. There was a hint of disappointment in his eyes. Maybe he was just tired.

"Of course! Well, we're here together since both our classes were over. Amy, Janice and Tracey couldn't come because they still had classes. But they promised that they will come and visit tomorrow." I noted.

"Tell them they can't come and visit me tomorrow since I'll be discharged tomorrow." Mace commanded. His tone sounded angry. Was it because Chris and I came here together or because the three girls couldn't visit him? I concluded in my mind.

I also noticed that Chris was suddenly silent. Geez. What's going on? Was I missing something? "Hey, Chris. Could you buy me something from the vending machine? It's right outside. Pretty please." Mace said while he looked at Chris.

"Sure. Hey, Hailey, do you want something as well?" Chris offered. I turned to him and saw neither disappointment nor sadness in his eyes. "Could you grab me a soda?" I replied. "Uh, sure. I'll be right back." Chris muttered as he headed outside.

It seems like Mace wasn't in the mood to talk either. Both of us were silent for a moment. "So you and Chris are together now, huh?" Mace asked. "No we're not together, Mace. We're good friends now." I replied. He just stared at me.

"Are you sure? Because the way you two looked at each other was something." Mace implied with a smirk on his face. "Jesus, Mace. There's nothing going on between me and Chris. So stop thinking that there is something going on between us, will you?!" I declared. I couldn't help but raise my voice on him. Did he not hear my answer before he asked me again?

"I'm so sorry, Hailey. It's just that I don't want you dating Chris. He's-" Before he could finish his statement, I interrupted. "So that's what this is about! You don't want me to date him!" I blurted out. "Why, Mace? I'm not saying this because I want to date him, but why would you try to control my love life?" I asked, trying to be calm.

Mace just stared at me for a moment. "I don't want you to get hurt again, Hailey. That's what this is about. I don't want you to mourn over spilled milk again like what you did after Jack cheated on you. I don't like seeing you so depressed, Hailey. I just want to protect you." Mace explained. Oh. He was just trying to protect me. How nice of him. I suddenly felt guilty. What have I done?

"I'm so sorry, Mace. I-I didn't know..." I said while looking at him pleadingly. "You're my best friend in the whole wide world, Mace. I didn't know you were trying to be so protective of me. I just want you to know that I don't need to be protected, Mace. I'm not a little girl anymore. Yes, I cried over spilled milk, but that was before, Mace. Right now is different. I've learned my lesson and I can handle myself. Thank you, Mace. Thank you for thinking about me. Thank you for being there for me at times that I couldn't handle." I pondered. It seems like I was about to cry for the second time today. Mace just reached out for a hug. "I see, Hailey. I understand. I'm sorry." Mace mumbled. "I'm sorry, too."

Things were about to get emotional when Chris entered the room with three sodas in his hand. "Did I miss something?" He asked as he handed a soda to me and to Mace. "Nothing. I just missed her. That's all. Right, Hailey?" Mace replied to Chris as he winked at me. "Right."

Suddenly, the door opened and a pretty brunette nurse walked in. The three of us were looking at her. She was obviously in her early twenties. Her boobs popped out a little and her face was fresh from make-up. I looked at the two boys and found their jaws drop. Seriously?

"I'm so sorry but visiting hours are over." The nurse finally blurted out. "Hi, I'm Chris." Chris said to the as he ran his fingers through his hair.  "Hi, I'm not interested." The nurse replied. Feisty. "Hi, not interested. I'm Chris." Chris retorted. Mace and I just looked at each other and chuckled. This was a scene to remember. The nurse just raised an eyebrow at Chris. She sure did not look interested. "Once again, visiting hours are over." She said and left.

When the door closed, Mace and I laughed our butts out. "Stop laughing. It was her loss. Ha-ha." Chris said, faking a laugh.

x x x x

Hey guys! :) Like the story so far? Please do share your thoughts and don't forget to vote! Thanks much :) x