Chapter 13

Chris and I were watching TV for a while while the rain was still pouring outside when suddenly, we heard voices at the door. I walked to the door with Chris behind my back to see who were behind those voices.

"Oh dear. It's really raining cats and dogs outside. Hurry in, honey." Mom said as she looked outside seeing Phil holding some groceries.

"Hey, mom." I said before mom turned around. Her eyes widened for a while when she saw Chris stand behind my back.

"Hi, sweetheart. I didn't know you had, uh, a boyfriend. What's his name, sweetie?"

I was about to answer mom when Chris suddenly spoke.

"Hi, Ma'am. I'm Chris Martin. I'm sad to say I'm not her boyfriend. We're just friends." Chris said and he held out his hand for a handshake.

"Hi, Chris. It's a pleasure to meet one of Hailey's friends here. I'm Victoria. Victoria Simmons." mom said with a smile.

When Phil finally entered the room, he was soaking wet. I went to the living room to get a towel with Chris who was still following me around.

"Here." Chris said, holding out the towel he used about thirty minutes ago. "It's still clean, Hailey. Don't worry." I took the towel and couldn't help but smile. The towel smelled like Chris's scent that reached my nose.

We hurried back to the door and handed the towel to Phil.

"Thanks, Hailey." Phil said as he dried his self with the towel. He looked at Chris for a moment from head to toe.

"Who's this? You're boyfriend? I didn't know you had one."

Once again, before I could speak, Chris introduced his self first.

"Good day, sir. I'm Chris Martin. I'm, um, Hailey's friend, sir."

He reached out his hand to Phil for a handshake.

"Phil Simmons. I'm Hailey's stepfather. And you said you're a Martin. Aren't you the son of Christian Martin? " Phil asked as he shook hands with Chris.

"Yes, I am, sir.", Chris answered, looking at Phil with a smile.

"Well, say hi to your father for me, will you? Christian and I are good friends since high school." Great. My stepfather knew Chris's father.

"Sure thing, sir. Well, I better get going now. It's getting late." Chris said, looking at mom and Phil with a smile.

"Please, call me Phil. It was a pleasure to meet you, Chris." Phil said while shaking Chris's hand again.

"Thank you, Phil. Good bye Mrs. Simmons." Chris said who is now looking at me with a smile.

"Hailey, I'll see you at school tomorrow. Thanks for everything."

"Sure, Chris. I'll, uh, see you tomorrow." I said as I looked at his deep blue eyes before he left.

- - -

"Mom, didn't I just tell you that I went grocery shopping this morning? How come you bought a lot of groceries again?" I asked as I placed the grocery bags on the kitchen counter.

"You did go grocery shopping, sweetheart. But there were a few things you missed. Like the meat, the dish washing soap, some other vegetables, eggs." mom explained while placing the bag of meat in the fridge.

"Awe, thanks a lot mom. Now, who's gonna cook for dinner? Me or you?" I asked, still looking at mom.

"That would be me. You're mom's still sucks at cooking, you know." I smiled at Phil who just entered the kitchen.