Chapter 16

TUESDAY , 6:00 a.m.

I woke up early the next morning and decided to go out for a morning run. My classes didn't start until nine a.m. today. I slowly slid out of my bed so I wouldn't wake Sarah up from the noise I made. I stared at her for a moment. She was sleeping peacefully while she looked like a little angel.

When I got in my bathroom, I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I then got in my walk-in closet and went through the pile of my work-out clothes. I picked up a neon yellow Nike shirt and a black work out shorts that exposed a bit of my skin on my legs. I also wore my neon-laced running shoes that my mom gave me a few months ago.

The thought of Chris suddenly entered my mind. The last time I got out for a run was when I bumped into Chris in front of his house before Mace's party. I also remembered that I texted him last night. Did he bother to text me back? I quickly ran to my bedside table and grabbed my phone. No new text messages. None from Chris and none from Mace. I sighed.

WEDNESDAY

Mace still wasn't at school since last Monday and I  still didn't know why. Nobody knew what happened to him. Every one of us texted him for the hundredth time already but there was still no reply yet.

Where are you, Mace? 

Chris and I were still ignoring each other. Well he was the one who was basically ignoring me. Yesterday when I was at the cafeteria, I saw him sitting at the usual table with the usual people. The basketball team. I casually went to him and asked about Mace. He didn't bother to look at me. Instead, he just simply said "no." So I just went on my way. Tracey, Amy and Janice saw me talk to Chris and saw how he answered me. I didn't know what to feel.

THURSDAY

It was the usual. Mace still wasn't around and I was getting really worried already. I tried calling his house, but there was no answer. So I didn't bother to go to his house since no one was answering each one of my calls. The teachers from his classes have been asking me if I knew the reason behind his absence since they said we were usually found together. Mrs. Eve even thought I was Mace's girlfriend. Were we really that close?

It was during Business Management class when I felt my phone vibrate. I didn't bother to read the message since I was seated in front and Mr. Nogarelli was very strict with the use of cellphones during class hours.

The bell rang twenty minutes after. I went to the cafeteria, which was usually my hangout spot with my best friends. Chris was with the usual people seated in their usual spot. I took my phone out when I remembered that I got a message earlier. I huge smile on my face appeared when I found Mace's name pop out of the screen.

New text message from Mace:

Hey, Hailey! Sorry if I haven't been keeping in touch with you lately. My phone was off. Anyway, I have been in the hospital since last Monday and they said I'll be discharged possibly tomorrow. Don't ask why. But if you do ask, just ask Chris since he can explain the situation to you more thoroughly. I miss you guys already. X

What? Chris knew about Mace's situation the whole time? Tears just fell of my eyes so suddenly. Mace was at the hospital and I didn't know why. He was my best friend and I didn't know where he was the whole damn time!

"Hailey! What's wrong?" Janice suddenly asked. Tears were still falling from my eyes. I didn't know why I was crying. Was it because I was angry at myself for not knowing my best friend's condition or was it because I was angry because Chris knew the whole time? The three girls were now looking at me with concerned looks on their faces. I needed to know why Mace was at the hospital ASAP. I took out my phone again and dialed Mace's number but his phone was off.

"Hailey, what's wrong?" Amy asked, still looking very concerned.

"Mace is at the hospital and I don't know why! He said Chris knew-", before I could finish my statement, I felt anger rush through my veins. Chris knew! Of course! Chris fucking knew!

x x x x

Hey guys! :) Like the story so far? Please do share your thoughts and don't forget to vote! Thanks much :) x