Faith

Most people say they'd rather to not have feelings. That feelings are to much to bear. I say I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all. At least pain reminds me I'm awake and alive. A world without pain in all reality is not a world at all. SO when I sit there across from Mr.Stevens desk I remind myself of all the things I've ever felt before in life. The very scarce blissful moments happy moments sweet moments. Then I think of all the bad ones and how much I wish I could make them go away. How I wish the fear didn't haunt my dreams at night. Most of all how much I'd love to make it all stop. I wish there was a way out. I know there is. I just haven't found it yet.
"That bruise on your face is annoying me" he says and I smile somberly.
"It doesn't hurt that much" I say and he crosses his arms over his chest.
"So have you figured out who 'him' is yet?" he asks and I shrug.
"Not a clue" I answer. He nods and gently takes his reading glasses off.
"Well things couldn't get worse" he says. He puts his elbows on his desk and stress fully run his fingers through his thick dark hair. I reach out to touch his shoulder but pull back when I remember that it isn't going to do anything.
"We'll just have to have faith" I say and his head rises. "Faith that there's a way out"
He presses his lips together and takes my hands. "I promise you, Tess, that i'll do whatever I can to get you out of there" he says and I smile but not out of joy.
"You don't have to tell me that. I already know that" I say and he nods releasing my hands. Hits sits back in his chair and looks at me.
"You know sometimes I really wish you were my kid" he says and I swallow hard.
"I know you do" I say and leave the room. Maybe if I have enough faith I'll find a way out.