17. Most Powerful

Draco

I always thought I could encounter enjoyment, liberation, carelessness, at least for once in my life, without any intervals. I did—emphasis on the past tense.

I waited for her. She never showed up. I waited for Emerald to reach the Astronomy Tower, and she left me up there unaccompanied. Was she that sick of me already? I don't think she ever relished my presence, to begin with.

"Draco," Pansy muttered, but all I heard was a muffled noise between the cheers from the Great Hall and the silver spoons clicking against the metal plates. "Mhm." I hummed, perking up. My face showed no interest in whichever discussion was taking place in front of me.

"Have you eaten?" She gazed at my dish, which was still full. It looked like it hadn't been touched in days.

"What do you care?" I put my elbows up on the table, making sure my sleeves covered my arms. If one more person spoke to me today, I was going to lose it. What part of leaving one alone can't they discern?

"I do. I was there when she wasn't." Pansy strives to hold my hand, but I jerk it away. She winces at the thought of me hitting her, but I never intended to.

My eyes seem to scan over Emerald's table once again. Her skin came across cold, and she looked like she hasn't slept in days. The only pigment constructing her face was the purple bags under her eyes. Everyone kept nudging her shoulder, but she wouldn't bother.

Has she eaten? Has she slept?

I just want to know the answers to these queries. But I wouldn't know. We haven't talked since the Yule Ball. I waited for her to ascend through those stairs, but instead of her, it was Pansy.

I was so foolish to believe she would actually show up that night, that she would even appear, and we would share somewhat of a moment. That she would appear, darting through those stairs, and I would show her the place that takes all of my misery away. Or at least suppresses it for the period being.

Doesn't it stings when your own expectations seem to murder your wishes?

"What are you doing? We have Potions. We can't be late." Blaise wiggled my arm, waking me up from my train wreck of emotions.

"Pleasant surprise to see you both here, gentlemen. Almost on time." Professor Slughorn's lips swiveled as he saw Blaise and me walk into Potions. But my eyes blatantly ignored whatever he had to say next because my eyes were too occupied being fixed on her.

"Now, students. You've mastered the crafting of Polyjuice, Draught of Peace, and Confusing Concoction. It's time you learned something a bit more... abstract, per se. We will be learning about the most potent love potion."

My essence sunk to my stomach, hearing that word and having Emerald in the same room as me. "Now, Miss Granger, would you be so kind as to break down the Love Potion's etiology?"

"Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Hermione took a step back, admiring her work.

"Very well. Now it is crucial to remember that Amortentia does not establish genuine love; that would be impossible. But it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession, making it the most hazardous potion. Now, one by one, step in front of the mixture, and notice what you're able to scent according to what lures you."

Hermione went first. Then Harry. Then Ron. Then Blaise. Frankly, I just kept dismissing everyone until it was either my turn or Emerald's. And seemingly, the Universe heeded my call. "Emerald, you're up," Slughorn ordered.

Her hair bounced with each step she took, the same way it did that night at the Yule Ball. She halted in front of the boiling bowl. She let the scent fill her nostrils, but I couldn't see her reaction. Her back was facing all of us.

"So?" The professor asked behind her back, eager to know what her response was about. That makes two of us.

"I would be able to smell the potion if it weren't for Mister Malfoy's excessive use of cologne this morning."

Everyone swerved to glance at me, even her. It was the first time her eyes exclusively met mine in quite some time. I forgot they had that shine to them.

"I didn't put on cologne this morning."