38. Living or Dying?

Pansy:

Choices are somewhat tricky to make, especially regarding their level of effectiveness.

We stepped out of the hotel, getting ready to walk into the bus that led us to our next activity. But only one thought tormented my mind; what the hell happened with that stupid recording?

Ever since I heard Ambrose admit to Lucius that he had faked the cassette of Draco talking about Emerald, I couldn't stop pondering about it. Blaise told me about Draco and Emerald's incident; apparently, he said he used her or something.

I didn't believe it at first. There was a reason why I was so jealous of Emerald. It's because she had one thing I did not: Draco's attention. And when I mean attention, I mean his undivided notice. The type of study one gives when they're insane, crazy, and sick about the person next to them. The kind of attention others wish to have. The kind of concentration that makes you wonder if killing is really unethical or merely necessary.

But after I heard Ambrose and Lucius's encounter outside of our hotel room, I realized it all now. Of course, Draco wasn't talking about Emerald. How could he? He was off his face in love with her, whether he wanted to acknowledge it or not. He was jealous of the rain that could touch her when he couldn't. He was jealous of Emerald's friends' arms, who could grip hers when he couldn't. He never told a soul, but anyone who could steal a look at his eyes whenever he gaped at Emerald could tell he would trade anything to be with her unconditionally.

As we were boarding the bus to go to our last activity here in London, I heard a slight gasp behind me. I turned my head, and I saw some blonde locks yank Emerald away from our group. I peered around. No one else notices.

Something in my gut tells me to chase her, but my mind tells me something I'd do: Forget about it, you resent her, remember? But sometimes, just sometimes, gut feelings are more substantial than human thoughts.

I shove past all the other students that were behind me in the bus line. All I got from this were people staring at me weirdly and some shoulders here and there that jerked away from my sprinting body. I look to the left and realize I lost Emerald. Where the fuck is she?

I decide to go around the building's brick walls. I turn left, right, and keep going north. All I saw was grass and a few chunks of trash thrown on the lawns.

Maybe it was just my imagination making shit up. For all I know, Emerald probably boarded the bus already. Fuck, I thought, as I recalled, the bus was supposed to leave in one minute. I turn north, left, and then right again. My breathing loosened up a bit once I saw the bus hadn't left just yet. I jog a bit so I could catch up behind the line again.

I don't get why bus lines are always so long. Like can't you just enter the vehicle? I guess they had to take more precautions this time, though, since it was a school trip; they have to take your name and make sure you're a part of Hogwarts, or else any Muggle could come in and sit with us.

"Your fucking son is dead to me!"

I twirl to confront the scream. Is that Emerald?

"Just let me fucking leave!"

Again, it seemed as if no one heard these screams. My chest sinks to the pit of my stomach as I kept hearing shouts no one ever wants to hear. Before I could react twice, my feet are already sprinting towards the noise of the cries. "Miss Pansy!" I listened to the tour assistant yell after me, but I didn't turn back.

This time, I went to the back of the hotel. I kept hearing muffled shrieks, and if my predictions were correct, they came from the end of the building. "Emerald!" I screeched, trying to see if I heard anything back. "P-Pans-" She responded but was instantly muted. The silencing charm, I reckoned.

We weren't allowed to perform magic in the Muggle world, but I needed to do this. I detested this girl, but something urged me to it. Carefully taking out my wand from my pocket, I close my eyes and hope this works.

"Apparate!" I scream. As soon as I opened my eyes again, I stood in the doorway of a dull room. It seemed vacated. I open the door, just a crack, and rush to see the injured figure in front of me. "Shit, Emerald-" I murmur and race towards her physique.

She was chained up, her face needing a natural color; she was packed with cuts that were full of her own blood—the red fluid dripping onto the metal chair.

She tried speaking, but her voice was hoarse. "What-" I strived to understand.

"Where's Draco?" She attempted to lift her hand, and I glimpsed she still had the ring she and Draco once carved together. "I don't; I don't know. Here," I tried going behind her, struggling to see where the chains unified so I could get her out of this room.

"You foolish, little girl." Lucius's voice arose from the door, and I instantly backed away from Emerald. His voice made her perk up too, but she flinched shortly after.

"Don't you know shattered things aren't meant to be rescued? Now, you have two choices. Either you run along and pretend you never saw this, or you stay and offer help to your friend."

"What's the catch?" My voice quivered. His eyes wouldn't leave mine, but mine were constantly switching from Emerald to him. He seemed so alive, while Emerald just looked flatlined.

"Catch?" He made an effort to look perplexed.

"I suppose I can't just help her, right? So, what's the catch?" I explained, shaking my head. There was no way in hell he was allowing me to escape.

"Oh, silly me. I forgot about one part. You try and assist her, but I chain you up as well. Now, choose; I don't relish waiting." His voice portrayed a rather entertaining tone. "While you ponder, tell me which one is more detrimental, living or dying first?" He snickered.

"Where's your son?" It was my turn to talk now. I chose my words deliberately, knowing he had all power here.

"Now, why would I tell you that? Besides, what do you think he's going to do? Run here and save his lady? How would that be feasible if he's locked up too? Well, I think he is; let me check if he's still breathing." The definition of inhumane in the form of a person fled the room.

A/N: Hello beautiful people, I apologize for not uploading earlier, I came down with the flu and I'm still so sick I hate it here 😭 I'm already working on chapter 39, so I won't take long to upload again. Thank you for waiting patiently and for 4k readers, wtf y'all are incredible!!