3. Partners

Emerald

I close my eyes for a few seconds and contemplate on what I was about to get myself into. Luna told me about our first-class, Potions, and I warned her about all my failed endeavors to create potions at home back when my mom used to teach me.

"Are you serious? Potions is probably my worst class. Trust me; if my house didn't end up in flames, it was a success." I giggle as we halt in front of the classroom.

"Like you've ever taken the class before." I hear someone's voice growl behind me. I stop dead in my tracks as I recognize whose voice that belonged to.

"And how would you know this piece of information?" I waited. Everyone else stood back to see Draco and I's little clash in the middle of the hall.

"Please, it's crazy how foolish of a wizard you seem to be. Let me guess; you assumably don't even know what Wingardium Leviosa means."

"Expelliarmus!" I scream, making Draco's books fall out of his hands. He licks his lips, sarcastically smiling, walking closer over to me. "Sectumsempra has a fine ring to it, doesn't it?" He was towering over me at this point. Of course, he would only make reference to one of the deadliest spells in the wizarding world.

"Oh, wouldn't it just look so good next to your name? Now, get out of my face." I storm off before he can snatch my arm, and I stroll into Potions with Luna. No wonder I was told to avert this man at all costs.

Once class starts, Professor Slughorn divides us into teams and requests us to make something rather funny. As to my luck, I sit patiently while Slughorn puts me in a group, me crossing my fingers, wishing my partner would be Luna.

"Hermione, take Luna. And who else are we missing?" The teacher pointed at us. "Oh, how could I forget! The distinguished Emerald here at Hogwarts can have the infamous Draco."

You've got to be kidding me. Is this like a modern rom-com now?

"Don't worry; he doesn't bite." He added, a smile plastered on his face. I, on the other hand, inclined my head to the side and fooled a grin.

"Not here, anyway." I could feel Draco's smirk behind me, and I took a second to compose myself, turn, and face him.

"If you're done with your snarky comments, can we start this project already?" I pursed my lips, waiting for his response. He soon furrowed his eyebrows, slightly amused.

"Who said anything about my remarks? I apologize sarcasm falls out of my mouth as stupidity falls out of yours."