29. Don't Leave Us

Draco

My knuckles bounce back from the force they had with the cement. Flinching, I open my eyes and see my work of art. The wall had a hole as big as my fist.

I bring my right hand up towards my body so I could take a better look at it. Each of my knuckles had a splash of the red liquid most people found gruesome. The blood gradually trickled at the end of my pinky finger.

I clench my jaw as I can't keep my feet still. I let my body fall on the bed, drawing my hands up to my face. I thought about everyone in my life and how they all had it easy: Blaise always earned love. Crabbe and Goyle forever had caring parents. Pansy never felt a scarcity of appreciation. Life was simple for all of them, and I was the exception.

The one time someone finally sticks around in my life. The one time I manage to let them in. The one time that I don't kick them out; is the only time they can't be in my life.

Last night, Emerald came by my dorm after I met with my father. Something about the way she looked told me she felt just the way I did.

But I couldn't tell her the truth. Tell me what you'd do if you were instructed to kill a particular person in your life. You couldn't tell them, could you?

What I think is guiltier than my father's order is the fact that I've been pondering it. I can't kill her, but what about my father? He needs someone to be there for him and to do as he says. Mom can't fill that role in, as she left when I was born. I can't just dishearten my father like that.

On the other hand, I never intended to relish Emerald this much. Her life was not like any others. She broke each standard, wasn't afraid to be wrong when everyone was right and loved as if the danger had never subsisted.

Us, whatever we had, wasn't typical. It was disordered, all over the place, broken, unpredictable, but most importantly, it was sincere. We were just friends that conversed like lovers, and that seemed to be sufficient for two teenagers who were terrified to love one another. And I don't think I can let go of that just yet.

But my father taught me loyalty. And I can't break something he taught me.

Emerald

I didn't say one word to Draco about the discussion with my mother. How could I? He fled before anything could escape my lips. He left without saying goodbye. He departed without any apparent regrets. I don't even want to imagine what his father warned him about me.

Hell, even if he hadn't left last night to go home to his family for the school break, I wouldn't have told him about my mom's request. What would I say? 'P.S. Draco, my mom told me she would kill me if I didn't kill you first?'

My mother's never asked me to do such a thing. It's ordinary for her to make me snatch some evidence from someone or trick them into making them tell the truth. But she's never gone to a lower level than how she did last night.

How could I ever go through with such a task? It's inhumane, and it's monstrous, and it's psychotic. Even if I detested Draco with every bone in my body, I could never get myself to do it. That's the thing about family: Not even people who share your blood can make you do anything in life.

I could comprehend why'd she want me to do it, though. She hasn't told me why, but I can already tell. The heads of each House have always competed against each other. Draco and I are the only descendants left alive that are reigns of our Houses.

Soon, he'll become the heir of Slytherin when his father dies. And I'm already the heir of Ravenclaw. The only wish my mother had was to protect me, no matter what or who stood in the way.

I always asked her why she loathed the other Houses' heirs. She told me they always wanted to be the only ones left standing, so naturally, they would have more power. If there only exists one King or Queen of all Houses, they become Head of all of them, not just one in particular.

And that's the thing with power: As long as there's one claiming it, equality will never be a concept. People will lie, steal, and even assassinate for it. And that's why this world is such a disastrous place.

I had no option but to head home. I'm pretty sure Draco stormed to his Manor for the break already, without saying goodbye. I wonder what exactly his father told him about us that made him depart so rapidly. Last night, he was so despaired. He seemed lost. I begged of him not to leave, but it was no use.

I sigh as I stare at my final work. All of my suitcases were packed, and now the room was vacant. I had said goodbye to Luna earlier since she left this morning before I did. I gave one last peek at our dorm before I left.

I took numerous long breaths as I made my way down the Hogwarts corridor. Everything looked empty. All students and teachers had left for the break; even the Great Hall was deserted.

I stroll the lengthy hallway and shortly halt as I spot a tall figure down the end of it. I plunge my suitcases to the concrete floor, and the noise of them falling makes the figure turn around. It was him.

It took him a second to understand it really was me; and that I hadn't left just yet. It was at this moment we both understood what we were feeling: Nothing mattered but us.

"Come here and kiss the hell out of me." He screams before I don't wait any longer, sprinting towards him. He cups my cheek, both of us breathless. I don't hesitate in pulling him close by the waist, him sealing his mouth onto mine. Words couldn't convey our emotions, so our lips did.

The area between us exploded, and as we taste each other, we realized how starved we were. The kiss in itself burned us alive, making us lose track of conscience.

"Don't leave me now; I can't bear it. We can go back to hating each other if it makes things with our parents easier, just don't you dare leave me, Malfoy."