18. Misinterpretations

Emerald

"I would be able to smell the potion if it weren't for Mister Malfoy's excessive use of cologne this morning."

"I didn't put on cologne this morning."

Green apples, fresh citrus, mint, subtle cologne.

"What does your Amortentia smell like, Miss Hart?" Slughorn asked, but I was too ashamed to admit the truth. I couldn't say it smelled like Draco. Certainly not after he completely made a fool out of me the night of the Yule Ball.

I let out a sigh and begged to be excused from class. I didn't look back as I unlocked the door and fled the room. I didn't know where I was heading, but anywhere would be perfectly fine as long as it saved me from that humiliation in Potions.

Draco

"May I be excused, Professor?" Her faint voice piped up, avoiding his original question. Slughorn looked a bit bewildered but still enabled her the freedom of leaving the classroom until she composed herself.

She complained about my cologne when I was never wearing it, and then she stormed off the room when Slughorn asked her what her Amortentia smelled like. There's only one justification behind all of these coincidences.

"You don't think..." I edged Blaise beside me, and he was guessing precisely what I was thinking.

"Professor, is it okay if I go to the bathroom?" I inquired Slughorn and again, with his perplexed manner, said yes. I attempted my best to find Emerald. What place would she ever go to for an escape? Of course, I can't be that stupid! I made my way towards the library when I remembered that it was her comfort place.

Skimming through her favorite aisles, I found her twisted brown hair overlooking the Restricted section.

"Emerald," I murmured, not wanting to frighten her.

"Draco, please go." Her voice was barely audible as she had her back on me.

"You don't understand-" I positioned my hand on my chest.

"But I do." She turned around. This was the nearest we've been in a few days. "Why didn't you just save me the embarrassment the night of the Ball?" Her hands were spotted on her hips as her elbows were turned out.

What embarrassment is she talking about? Does she really mean this?
"Embarrassment? Are you saying you were ashamed of going with me?" I hid my hands in my back pockets.

"How could I ever say that?" She clamped her teeth on her upper lip.

"You just did! Just admit you never wanted to go with me. It's not that difficult to concede the truth!" I narrowed my eyes at her as I whisper-yelled.

"You told me to meet you in the Astronomy Tower, and then you made a mockery out of myself!" She crossed her arms in defense.

"What are you talking about? I waited for you, and you never c-"

"Professor Slughorn requests you both be back in class." Pansy's presence startled us both as she shortly ceased our discussion.

"Thank goodness. This conversation was a waste of time anyway." Emerald completely disregarded the explanation I was about to give when Pansy showed up. I gazed at the book aisle, wondering what the hell just happened here.

"Draco?" Pansy strolled closer to me. I shut my eyes, letting out a breath. "This isn't over," I growled, running out of the library. But before I could go back to Potions, Emerald went around the corner to confront me once more.

Her face was dangerously near to mine, and I cringed at my immediate desire to close the slight gap between us.

"If I never wanted to go with you, I would have just picked an actual date for you. But you seem to forget that, don't you?" That was all she said before deciding to leave that gap between us entirely open and leaving me there wondering what she implied by that.