47. Whose Death?

No one's point of view:

Abiding by the treaty with reality, both Chance and Emerald assembled to confront the other. The night was broadened as black angel wings, insuring the earth as they readied to battle.

Both of their chins were up as if held by unnoticed wires. Now, they understood pride was more crucial than anything.

One thing humans have discovered throughout the course of history is that whenever morality and love come to a dead-end, power, avarice, and satisfaction are right there waiting for them.

Pride is a vice that these two were obsessed with. When they were with each other, they pretended it didn't exist. But as soon as they cut their connection to serve their parents' loyal demands, they recalled pride is vital if you want to survive in this ruthless, harsh world.

Draco was waiting for Emerald at the top of the Astronomy Tower like death remains for lives to meet hell.

Emerald, on the other hand, opposed the laws of battle according to the dress code. Her clothing didn't consist of anything protective of her skin or muscles. No, instead, she wore a lengthy dress that had a slit up to her left leg.

It was as black as the ravens that haunted the atmosphere.

When coming face-to-face, Draco rolled his eyes, knowing what this girl was doing to him. He glimpsed to the side, removing his metal dagger out of his back.

"You think you're clever pulling this stunt? Huh?" He spits, striding closer to her.

Her chin stood tall, never breaking the intimidating gaze with the man. "You're only mad because it's impacting you, yeah?"

He stood speechless, knowing she was right, knowing the dress was going to distract him from battling appropriately. He shut his eyes and clenched his jaw. Focus rang through his head.

He now brought the silver weapon to his side and let the tip of the sword slam the floor as he used it as a form of a cane. He leaned against it, trying to seem more dominating, but they both knew it wasn't working.

"Ready?" She implored.

"You know I'll win." He conceded.

"And you know I'll fight."

She first drew out her dagger, slightly trembling as she placed it in front of his chest. None of them changed positions at first, as they started to question the reason behind this battle. As their nostalgic memories began surging both their memories, the guilty ones started creeping up, suppressing the good ones.

'Remember why you're doing this; you're doing this for the family. You're doing this to get back at the disservices the Universe manifests every day. The ones that assemble a wall between your longings and sensibility. Remember why.' They told themselves mentally.

Draco tossed the first beat, shortly bouncing back out of anxiety. She broadened her sword arm straight to its most entire length without lunging. "Come on!" She shouted. She wanted to get this over with.

He attacks, his weapon meeting her blade and then passing through her skin. A subtle gasp exited her mouth as the metallic scarcely cut through her arm.

She took the alternative to strike back. She extended her legs and hoisted the blade. Emerald let it slide across his cheek, resulting in an opening of his skin.

He lifted his leg as she squatted forward, their weapons meeting in the middle and making a screech-like noise, like nails on a chalkboard.

Fidgeting around, the two completely unskilled. Lowering the weapons simultaneously, they preferred to fight hands-on. Draco darted towards Emerald, urging his grip onto her wrist, trying to make her plummet to the ground.

She combated back, trying to hit him with her face until that cost her a bloodstained nose. She shivered and strived as she tried to break free from his touch. After a few seconds of resistance, she remembered how firm his clasp really is.

With his available hand, in the swift of a movement, he leaned down and picked up his weapon. He aligned the edge parallel to her chin, holding it up. Now, she knew she couldn't move because if she did, with one wrong activity, her life could end right then and there.

"Adhere to your morals while you can, Emerald," He shrieked. "There's a monster at the end of this book."

Pushing him behind his kneecap, she stumbled as she rubbed the blood from her mouth, spitting what was left at Draco's feet. "Go to fucking hell," She grumbled.

They scowled at each other, and Draco was now well across the room. He made no move to progress. His pain tolerance may have been impossibly high, but he was coming to his threshold.

"And leave you here all alone?" He simpered. "I wouldn't wish of it. We have so much leisure, after all."

"I want to murder you already. Just shut up, you've cost me my entire life, you fucking asshole!" She swore at her affection for him, at her compulsive codependency for him, at her craving necessity to be with him. If sentiments could be turned off, she would have tugged at the switch already.

She hurried towards Draco, virtually forgetting the fence was dangerously near to them. His heart froze as he aggressively fastened his hands around her waist, attempting to avoid the disaster, but timing played its card ahead, and it was now too late.

And the same way she once fell in love with the man in front of her, she too fell to her fatality at the spur of darting to harm him.

"Emerald!" Draco's ear-puncturing scream was muffled to all but a single target.

He paced back, trying to recoup his breathing as alarm infiltrated his body. He began to feel unsteady, having to grab ahold of the railing and resisting the urge to jump off the Astronomy Tower as well because she was his only source of life.

"Well done, Draco." Lucius walked up the swirling stairs. Each step he took nearer to his son was one step back his son would take away from him.

"I think you mean; Well done, Emerald." He pulled his darling from behind his waist, revealing the flawlessly non-injured lady.

"Acting was never of any interest for me, but you try things, don't you, Mr. Malfoy?" Emerald winked at Draco's appalled father, who grew foolish to the notion that he had been played by his outrageous son and pathetic excuse for his 'girlfriend.'