13. Ball Proposals

Emerald

It is a truth universally acknowledged that every girl in Hogwarts awaits the Triwizard Tournament's very own Yule Ball tradition. Okay, perhaps not every girl. But the Yule Ball is the closest thing the wizarding world has to a muggle world tale called prom.

"What did you have in mind for your gown of choice to the Ball?" Luna implores me as we wait for Charm's class to commence. As per usual, we were here early.

"I was thinking something delicate and classical, a timeless-vibe piece. You?"

"Anything light-colored, maybe blue? A polished flower dress would much accentuate your details!"

"You think so? I know you would be able to rock anything, especially if it's royal blue themed. That's your color."

We smiled and dialed down our tone as we saw more people come in.

"Chatting, now are we?" Draco's voice hummed as he was the third person to reach the room with his Slytherin squad.

"Define we. Last time I checked, we didn't comprise you in this conversation." I pursed my lips, and he leaned against our desk, standing inches away from my face.

"When will you learn? I never have to be part of a conversation to be included in one."

"That's your adage for everything now? Just being noisy?" I inclined my head smartly.

"Something like that." He raised his eyebrows, his eyes glowing.

Luna twirled to me with the corners of her mouth rising and her gazes wide open. "What?" I pushed an eyebrow, seeing through her amused expression.

"Oh, nothing. I just thought you didn't notice the look Draco just gave you."

"Look?" I giggle, "What look?" I peek over at Draco's table, and notice Pansy is glaring at me.

"Come on, Em. Didn't you see his eyes? Malfoy fancies you." She beamed from ear to ear, making sure no one else heard us.

"Luna, that's the last emotion we feel towards each other. I don't think picking on one another continually translates to us liking each other." Another giggle leaves my lips as I take my quill and ink out.

"Suit yourself. Just wait until he sees you in your robe for the Ball. Speaking of which, when are we getting our dates? And our dresses!"

I chuckle at her stressed-out manner and raise my hands, "Don't worry about any of that. I'll take care of it. Diagon Alley after class today? We'll go dress shopping."

Before she could answer back, Professor Flitwick began our Charms lesson for the day. It was a typical class, us opening our textbooks, memorizing new spells, trying them, someone getting accidentally hurt, and then the students arising in laughs.

The day shortly ended, and Luna and I's anticipation of heading to Diagon Alley couldn't wait. Usually, one would go with their parents, but we had to go on our own since we couldn't deliver an owl now.

Stepping through the uneven cobblestones, we ended up going to one of our unique shops, Madam Malkin's. They sold uniforms but mostly dress robes and traveling cloaks. "Alright, let the fashion show begin," Luna smirked as I nodded, taking over the entire shop, trying on many different dresses.

I sat down on a comfortable velvet couch, waiting for Luna to try on all of her chosen options. She came out with the first one, and we both frowned unsatisfactorily.

"You could do better." I snickered and leaned back on the sofa.

She then came out with a lovely second alternative, a royal blue maxi dress with sleeves. "Now, this is your color! I'm telling you, it looks stunning on you!" I exclaimed.

She clasped her palms together as she gazed at her reflection in the mirror. "This is perfect!" She swiveled around and peered at her fabulous self. "This is the one." She strolled back and shut the curtains to change back into her Ravenclaw suit.

I stood up from the couch and started roaming through the dress racks, picking out possibilities for my dress so I could try them on now that Luna picked her Yule Ball clothing.

The door hits the bell, implying that a new customer had just walked in. To my surprise, as I perked up, my eyes reached those of whom I loathe the most.

"Whoever thought Malfoy would end up in a dress shop?"

"And to whom do I owe the pleasure of seeing you here?" He walked towards me as soon as he heard me.

"Well, you can thank me. It was my idea. I persuaded Luna to come hereafter class so we could obtain our dresses for the Ball. Though, I presume you have your tailored hand-made suit since the beginning of the school year?" I teased.

"You presume correctly. Speaking of which, I hear nobody's accompanying you to the Ball. Is that so?"

"The question is, who's escorting the prominent Draco Malfoy?"

"He never gets escorted; he's the one escorting the lady." He jokes, referring to himself in the third person.

"Ah, I see. Who's the fortunate lady, then?"

"If you consider her lucky, then I reckon your resentment towards me has lessened?"

"You thought wrong. I like to be friendly to others. You should try that sometime." I lightly tap his chest as I keep glancing at dresses.

"You know, a remarkable idea came to my mind today."

"There's a first time for everything, apparently."

"I missed your witty banter. Now, care to hear me out?"

"I can't stop you, can I?" I leaned forward.

"Let me pick your date."

"For the Yule Ball?" I choked on my spit as my hand lifted a cream-colored dress for me to assess.

"For the Yule Ball. And I'll authorize you the autonomy of choosing mine." He says, and I ponder for a second. This should be interesting.

"No catches?" I place the dress in front of me.

"None." He drops his arms to his sides.

"You're on, Malfoy." I smile, placing my hand in front of his, anticipating a handshake, one which he proudly returned.

"I had an impression you might say that." He winks, and before he can vanish once again, he swerves to face me. "Try that dress. Maybe it'll be delightful enough to fix whatever's going on there." He gestured to my face, and I cackled at his failed endeavor at helping me pick a gown.