45. Three Words

Emerald:

"No," I shook my head, my heart quit beating for just a few seconds. I was frozen, rooted in front of Draco. My eyes spoke it all, begging for him to say he wasn't serious or that there was a genuine explanation for this. I went to reach his cheeks, but he hastily clenched his jaw and shoved my touch away.

"Draco, what the hell? What's gotten into you?"  I step back, trying to get a better view of him.

"It's over, Emerald! God, can't you see it?" He turned around, now squatting down, leaning against the Tower balcony. My breath hitched at my throat, and my hands flew to my chest, trying my hardest not to hyperventilate. Why is he so hostile, and what is he talking about? 

"Were you put under a spell, is that it? Draco, come on." I lowered my voice a bit to see if he did the same, but he actually just shouted louder. 

"I was not!" He ran his fingers through his platinum blonde hair, his back still facing me. He had now taken out his black blazer, so he only had his black suit pants and a ruffled out white long sleeve shirt that pressed his body faultlessly.

"Then why the hell did you just admit to following through to your father's plan!" I now found myself yelling at the boy in front of me, accidentally making his back flench. "I'm sorry," I muttered. I knew he always flenched because of his father; I never meant to raise my voice at him. We've just never fought before. 

"Because I have no other choice!" He stood up, still ignoring my gaze. 

"No other choice?" I paused to release a cynical laugh, "No other choice." I said, but this time to myself. "You yourself admitted it was us against the world now, that the battles of our parents were not ours to bear, or did you just misremember?"

"I didn't forget, how could I, Emerald? Do you think I wanted to do this out of pure will? Life left me no fucking option." He tugged at the ends of his hair. We've never argued like this.

"Oh, is that why you acted completely unbothered when your father stood her, just minutes ago, saying he always hated me? I get it, you couldn't defend me, but you just fucking stood there like an entire sociopath."

"See! I hate you because of this same exact reason!" 

He did not just say that.

"Oh," I smiled, a tear quickly streaming down my cheek. "You hate me now. That's a new one; please enlighten me; when all I've ever done is put your comfort over mine."

He finally spun around to meet me. "Because I love you too much to the point that not even the Obliviate spell could work on me! That's why... That's fucking why." His voice split, and he took a step back once he realized he told me something he's never told, anyone. Both of our faces relaxed. He licked his lips, glancing to the side, trying to dodge eye contact.

"I was under the charm, and it wouldn't work on me, so I pretended it did because I was standing in front of my father." He tranquilized down now. "I thought if I pretended it worked, then he wouldn't have found another way to harm you; I could have just told him I would follow suit with his plan, even if I didn't."

Quiet took over us for a few moments.

"Sometimes, I wish I could explain your eyes and the way they soothe me. Or the way my body perks up at the sound of your name from someone else's lips. Or the way that, whenever I catch myself observing you, and you glimpse back at me, my soul appears so hopeful. But until then, words will have to do because God forbid I love you so damn much, Malfoy."

He did not wait one second, his reflexes did not stall, and in his kiss, I was home. We pulled away, breathless, our foreheads compressed against one another's. "It wasn't supposed to end this way." He says, bringing up his hand up to my cheek.

He stroked my face with his ring finger, our matching one, the one we made together. "So, that's it? We're just... giving up on us, that quick?" I strolled backward, gulping down hard.

"Emerald..." He muttered. 

"I'm sorry," I counter fast. "I just- really thought we could beat the odds, you know?" I breathed.

He didn't say anything for some seconds; he just gazed at my eyes. "Maybe in another life," He smiled, staring down, almost chuckling out of sorrow to himself. "Maybe... one day fate will make sure that it let us coincide in the right place, and in the right time, with no strings attached, with no limits."

I couldn't bear to say goodbye, so I switched the topic. "Were you ever going to tell me if you followed through with your father's plan? Or would you have been evil enough to trick me into coming here and killing me?"

"How could you even ask that?" He leaned towards me, growling. 

"I'm serious because I don't know if I can trust this anymore. Where does your allegiance stand?"

"For God's sake, Emerald, I was going to go straight to our dormitory and warn you before the plan even took place. Do you think I have what it takes to murder a person? Is that what this is?"

"No, I never said that, but-" 

"But what?" He whispered dangerously; his posture always intimidated me. 

He sighed, trying to recover composure. "Listen. To. Me." He said deliberately, his face inches away from mine. "If you join us now, you will be safe."

"Join y-" I questioned, but he cut me off. 

"Yes. Join my father and me and give up your Ravenclaw heir for us to have a Slytherin one."

"Are you even hearing yourself?" 

"It's crazy, I'm conscious, but-"

"But I would much rather side with my mother and carry out her orders if that's how you want to play this." I shook my head. 

"You're making this way harder than it needs to be-"

"No." I stopped him. "If you surely chose me, loyalty wouldn't be an issue to you. Let the best family win."

"That's it, then? You're just going to walk away and meet me here on Saturday? What, are you going to murder me too?"

"Those were my mother's orders once. That doesn't mean I will follow them."

"Go ahead, then. Walk away like we never occurred!" He screamed, but he was genuinely just on the verge of tears, and so was I.

My bottom lip slightly quivered as I kept moving my head, "You don't get to say that! I don't believe I will ever love again." My throat stung at the attempt of me speaking without my voice breaking.

"I think you're mistaken about that, Emerald."

"No," I cut him off until he did so to me. 

"I think you will fall in love again, I think you'll find someone and worry for them, and you will live and die for them because that's your way, and you will." He swallowed.

"And I'll watch." He left.