14. Sneaking Around

Draco

"If you lean any far more back, you're going to fall."

"Thanks for the obvious unsolicited warning, Crabbe." I spit sarcastically.

"This isn't even going to work! How do we know for sure she's asking these girls to be your date to the Ball and not just making conversation with them?" Goyle implored from behind me. Occasionally I wish people were as bright as me.

"That's why we need to come closer and listen to what they're gossiping about. Move!" I scramble them towards the next concrete wall, and we bend behind it again, trying to get nearer to Emerald and her friends.

Even after changing our hiding locations, it still wasn't close enough to hear what she was telling them. But of course, I always had a Plan B. "Crabbe, Goyle," I call their attention. Their heads turn shortly to the noise of my command. "You know what to do," I pat their backs.

I lean behind the brick wall again and stare as Crabbe and Goyle stroll over to Emerald to try and see if she's asking other girls to be my date for the Ball. As they slowly walk over to her, I notice her pull out her wand and cast a spell on them from behind. Are you kidding?

Crabbe and Goyle ran over to me with their walk of shame. "What did she do?!" I  creased my eyebrows in confusion.

"She cast Muffliato on us. You know, the spell that keeps others nearby from overhearing conversations."

"I know what Muffliato is! But how did she know you were eavesdropping? You weren't even next to her! You were just behind her and her little squad!"

"In our defense," Crabbe mutters, "It's not the first time you order us to overhear her dialogues with others." He purses his lips in a straight line.

"Oh, please. I can do a nicer job myself." I tightened my green robe and walked over to Emerald. Apparently she could sense my presence from feet away because before I even reached her, she was already rejecting me.

"Don't bother, Draco. I wasn't speaking to these girls about you and the Yule Ball." She swiveled and took a few steps over to me.

"Ladies, you can go." She grinned at her friends, dismissing them.

"So," She grips her hands, "Do you have anything better to do with your day than sending your minions to spy on me? Again." She held her head high.

"Don't flatter yourself, and I didn't order them to spy on you." I fixed my glare on her.

"Then what were they doing exactly?" She raised her eyebrows, waiting for me to go on and invent whatever lie I had in mind.

"Just... inspecting the hallway. They added new bricks to the wall." I rubbed my chin.

"You'd think the king of Slytherin would have the lying abilities mastered but apparently not." She stooped her head down, a laugh escaping her lips.

"Terribly funny." I cocked my head, "I suppose now that we're conversing, I can ask: Do you have my date for the Yule Ball?"

She sighs, "Draco Lucius Malfoy. Always so impatient."

My stomach churned at the sound of her saying my full name.

"It's not impatience, just reasonable curiosity." I crossed my arms.

"If it's curiosity, then I infer I can ask you the exact question. Do you have my date yet?"

"If I replied, that would ravage the mysterious aesthetic to the surprise, now wouldn't it?"

Emerald

"It's really not that big of a deal; why can't you guys just tell me who he had in mind?" I pushed up my sweater sleeves, wanting to get to the bottom of this already.

"Mister Malfoy, as a result of this, notified us not to say a word." Crabbe and Goyle's excessive blinking let me know they were anxious.

"Please, since when should anyone fulfill Mister Malfoy's mandates? I just need a clue of who my date is so I can plan his." I ran my fingers through my tremendously thick hair.

"Well, well, well. Look who's here." My cheeks turned an intense shade of pink once I heard the voice behind me.

"Seriously, you need to stop arising out of nowhere. You're not James Bond." I rolled my eyes at Draco.

"Were you consulting my minions about my surprise date for you? I almost forgot I did the same yesterday until you thoroughly denounced me." He puffed his chest.

"I wasn't. I was just- warning them about what Snape said about you in Potions today." I took small steps away from him.

"Boys?" He peeked towards Crabbe and Goyle, who were standing behind me. They both shook their head no, confirming that the excuse I had just given was a lie.

"You'd think the heir of Ravenclaw would have the lying abilities mastered but apparently not." He taunted me.

"Why ever did I let you pick my ideal date? Ever since I was a little girl, my mother has told me about the traditional Yule Ball, so you better not mess this night up for me." I edged my index finger at his chest.

"I see you have a lot of expectations. And to answer your question, it'll let me prove I know you better than anyone else. Have a little faith, won't you, Hart?" In his arrogant triumph, he smirked.

"Fine. Let's see who's paying attention to the other's desires."