26. Loathe Attachment

Emerald

"It's crazy how much of my free time you consume." Draco played with my fingers as I saw him gaze at me from the corner of my eye. I couldn't choose which view to stare at, his mesmerizing silvery eyes or the sun hovering in front of us.

"Well, allow me to tell you it's an honor of mine." I beam, preferring his eyes to stare at this time.

He chuckles, shaking his head. I've never seen him this content before. The last time he was so cheery was when we shared a dance at the Ball. 

"I still can't believe Pansy went out of her ways to prove nothing ever happened between us."

"Can you blame her? You're kind of everyone's dream guy here."

"Oh, is that so?" He perked up to meet my face. I was lying on his lap as I playfully stole his ring to fidget with it. 

"Well, that's just what everyone says." I shrugged. 

"Am I yours?" He froze. 

"Hm?" 

"Am I your dream guy, then?"

My breath hitched, and I couldn't swallow my own saliva. We haven't discussed our feelings. At least, not yet. I should keep quiet or maybe pretend I didn't hear him. He probably doesn't even like me, so I can't say I do. I'll look so stupid in front of him.

"What do you think?" I did the smart thing and reversed the question towards him.

"I'd say yes." He answered in less than a millisecond.

"And why's that?" I was curious to know why it took him so little time to reply.

"Because you're still here. No one's ever stuck this long before."

My heart sank to my stomach. I guess what hurts me the most is the way I relate to what he just said. But he doesn't need to know that. 

"You don't mean that." I rose from his lap, laughing nervously. I tugged at the ends of my uniform, getting rid of any wrinkles to sit up straight.

"I'm afraid I do." He placed both his arms behind himself, leaning backward. 

"And what about Crabbe and Goyle?" The delicate tone behind my remark let him know I was simply kidding.

"It's kind of their job." We giggled at his snarky comment. We both knew it was getting late, and our friends would start wondering where we were. It was kind of fun sneaking around like this. I only wish we didn't have to, however. But we both know we can only dream because none of our parents can find out about us.

I wanted to stay with him a bit longer, but I was afraid to speak up. I didn't need him to think I was a helpless, needy woman. So, I let him go. We both returned to campus, and before we could part our ways, he shot me a wink as he went off with Blaise.

Luna was right there in the courtyard; she looked like she was waiting for me. "Luna! It feels like forever since I've seen you." I extended my arms in hopes of receiving a hug. Gladly, she took the hint.

"Tell me about it! Where have you been? I haven't seen you since Potions." Her blonde curls bounced as I stepped back after hugging her torso.

"Oh, I was just finishing some homework in the library. But I'm here now. Do you want to go grab a butterbeer?"

Of course, my answer was a yes. Although Luna was my roommate, we barely saw each other now. I would always be secretly hanging out with Draco, and she would be off wandering the library with Harry or Hermione.

As we headed towards Diagon Alley, I stopped when I recognized Draco's voice just a few steps in front of me. "Hey, L," I whispered to Luna, hoping he wouldn't hear my voice.

"Do you mind getting us the drinks? I'll join you in a minute; I just have to say to Madam Malkin. I have yet to thank her for our Yule Ball dresses!" I grin, and she approves.

"Yeah, of course. I'll get us a table and see you inside." Her faint voice spoke before she made her way towards The Leaky Cauldron.

I didn't particularly appreciate lying, especially to Luna. But something told me to stick around and hear Draco's conversation with Blaise. They couldn't see me as I was lurking behind the fresh bushes subtlety.

"Are you seriously gonna tell me you got with every single girl here, and suddenly you're not seeing anyone?" Blaise starts laughing. "Please, who are you and what have you done with Draco Malfoy?"

"Blaise, even if I were to be screwing with someone, it wouldn't be any of your damn business."

"So, it's true then?" He challenged.

"What is?"

"You're with that slut? What's her name, uh, Emerald?"

I felt my stomach churn at the preferred nickname Blaise chose to give me. And if Draco doesn't speak up, I will individually murder him myself-

I noticed Blaise being shoved back by two powerful hands; I guessed that they were Draco's. I couldn't see him completely.

"Shut your dirty mouth, Zabini, or else-" He growls before Blaise can cut him off.

"See? I didn't even have to hear a yes leave your lips. Just from you being so overprotective of her, I know the answer to my question."

"I'm not overprotective, you fool. You just..." He tried coming up with an explanation, "Don't talk about a girl like that. Even if it is about Emerald." I couldn't view Draco's facial expression yet, but he had to pretend he loathed me somehow.

"So if you're not with her, you won't bother having a good time with another girl? Say, Pansy?" Blaise cocked his head to the side. I felt my blood become hot at the sound of her name.

"Not that it's any of your concern, but I'd rather not."

"Aw, come on. If you truly aren't with Emerald, you wouldn't mind spending the night with Pansy."

"Oh, please. I don't have to prove anything to you."

"Then I guess you also wouldn't have a problem if I told Lucius you're seeing his enemy's daughter?"

I couldn't hear anything. Draco remained quiet. He knew it was too risky if the truth about us came out. It would put all of us in jeopardy.

"What do I have to do for you to keep your mouth shut?" He muttered.

"Just one kiss with Pansy."

"Is that all?"

"That's all."

"Deal." His pale hand aggressively shook Blaise's. And that was the moment he made me hate love more than anything.