The Two Trees

"Wake up!"

I shoot up. My head bashes against another. I fall back into the bed and clutch my forehead. Who the hell gets that close to sleeping, people? "Ow!"

"Why would you do that!" Findo groans. Of course, it's him. Who else would it be?

"How was I to know you were there..."

"I don't know..." Findo whines. "Valar. You call yourself a Princess?"

"Bitch, I call myself a Feanorian."

"Dana." I can practically see Nelyo roll his eyes. Out of the two of us, he's the more formal. Normally around our cousins. Well, half cousins as Father calls them. Well, around Finno to be more precise. Likewise for the latter.

I'm formal when I have to be. Among family and friends, I am not.

My eyes practically roll themselves. I get out of bed and step over Findo's body. It's a reach to get my dressing gown.

Findo sits up. Groaning on the way. A large red spot beams on his forehead. I'm sure I have one too. I resist the urge to rub mine.

"Don't you Dana me Nelyo. You know what you signed up for when you agreed to come."

"You could at least act less brash,"

"Then what's the point, little brother? If I'm not myself." I pat Nelyo's chest on my way to the door.

He snorts. "And Grandfather lets you conduct yourself in court."

"He's the reason I'm like this...aside from Father." I look around Nelyo to see if anyone else came to get me. I half expected to see Finno.

Those two are inseparable. Almost as if they are married. Not that they are. And it's not like Anairë hasn't budged me to help find Finno and Nelyo a lovely female. Ugh. Like I'm the best judge of character. I'm not married either. She and Mother have taken to trying with me too. I am not having it. Neither are Finno and Nelyo.

"What's for breakfast?"

"You will have to see."

Always the cryptic. "Who's up?"

"Everyone but you."

"I am up."

"But not dressed." I open my mouth to reply but Nelyo is right. I am not dressed.

I turn on my heel and march up to Findo. My hands firmly grasp his worn shirt. I use my might to hoist him to his feet.

"Out, both of you." I usher him and Nelyo out and close the door in their faces. Findo mutters that was rude.

Ha! Have you met my Father?

Father is passive-aggressive or rude when you first meet him. And until you earn his trust. Then he'll be completely eager to ramble about his latest project.

The hard part is earning his trust.

"It's also rude to imply that comment not to be heard," I tell him as I change. Nelyo chuckles.