A Day of Sailing

"Rise and shine, princess," Malin exclaims, yanking open the blinds—light from Laurelin streams into mine and Kaesta's room.

"Valar is early,"

"No, it's not,"

"Yes, it is,"

"Well, it looks like you don't want the honey cake my mother baked fresh this morning. All well, I guess I'll have to give it to Aerus and Eldaren," Malin cheekily states. I can just about see her tapping her pointer finger against the side of her mouth.

"Don't you dare," I exclaim, sitting up and glaring at my friend. If she gives the honey cake to Aerus or Eldaren, I will personally shove her over the side of the ship later today. 

I do not care how undignified that makes me look. I love honey cake, and Malin knows it. 

Malin smiles and tells me to get dressed.

I glance over at Kaesta's bed; sure enough, she's also up and long gone by the look of her sheets. I sigh and manage to drag my butt out of bed. I get dressed in a blue shirt and a darker blue vest that I may or may not have stolen from Kana.

Once I gather enough mental energy, I exit my room and enter Malin and Itisse's main room of their house. Malin, Mori, Itisse, Kaesta, Aerus, Nanwe and Eldaren sit at the kitchen table. My brother greets me with a soft morning and returns to conversing with his wife.

I take the empty seat between Nanwe and Eldaren, which I assume is not by accident and grab the honey cake.

Hang on a moment. This is bread. What happened to the honey cake? I turn to Malin, grinning ear to ear. "What happened to the cake? You promised me cake,"

"Did I say cake? I meant bread,"

"It's delicious, sister," Mori smiles, nudging Itisse with his shoulder. Oh, how cute. Please move out of the manor.

"I'm glad you think so, brother," I state. I was looking forward to the honey cake. Perhaps I'll buy some later when we go to the market. Now that I can get behind. 

I grab the large serrated knife and cut myself a decent-sized piece. "Pass the butter,"

Kaesta slides the butter dish toward me. I catch the dish before it slides over, and I end up wearing it. I grab a knife from the tray in the middle of the table and take the lid off...what the hell? "This is honey. Where's the butter?"

Across from me, Itisse chuckles. "Carinstar ate it all, and my sister did say it was honey flavoured,"

"It's better than nothing." I state and smear honey all over the slice of bread. 

After eating my fill of honey bread and berries, Malin, Kaesta, Aerus, Nanwe, Eldaren and I get ready for our day of sailing. We aren't going far, but we decided at dinner we will be eating lunch out on the boat.

Once we finish packing, we wave bye to Mori and Itisse and head for the docks. Our walk doesn't take long since Malin lives a few streets down from her Grandfather.

Tyavro meets us at the boat and helps us load up. Once he's satisfied with how everything looks, he steps off onto the dock. "Have fun."

We yell back, we will, as Tyavro waves us off. 

Once out of the harbour, Malin, Aerus and Eldaren put Nanwe, Kaesta and myself to work. We pull ropes to take the slack out of sails, tie-down bags of sand and most of all, we sing silly little songs from when Malin's Grandfather was learning. 

First, a song about a small boy in green boots. Then one about Lord Osse and Lady Unien. It's a sweet little ballad. Then we pay homage to Lord Ulmo by singing his song. Mainly about praying for calm waters, clear skies and plenty of fish.