Grandfathers Begetting Day

1378 YT

"Hurry up Artanis!" Irisse yells at our cousin.

Artanis is forever the perfectionist. Not that I can complain. I am definitely a perfectionist. It runs in the family.

Not that I'm complaining. But when we all go for a project or hosting it can become a disaster. That's only happened oh seventeen times in the last twenty years. Not bad but not great.

All the finwean cousins made a pact to do better. So far Finno has been successful. Only him. And possibly Angarato. I'm not sure I'd have to ask Findo. Maybe Artanis knows.

"Artanis, I'm not getting any younger out here," I holler through her door. An unladylike snort comes from Irisse. A smile weasels onto my face.

I know what's coming.

"You're not that old Dana," Artanis chuckles as she opens her door.

"Am I not? I could have sworn I was 173 years older than you," Artanis and Irisse laugh. I smile at my younger cousins. I sling an arm around each of them and guide our path to the market. "Come let's get dresses,"

"Like Grandmother says dress the way you want not how people expect." Artanis laughs.

In the market, we walk along the streets until we find the shop that sells dresses. We share a smile before going in. This shop is the one shop I trust to make me a dress. Several years ago I brought Irisse and Artanis. They love it here.

Layers upon layers of fabric and dresses line the walls. Colours of every kind are draped on tables. In the back is Nirel, the owner. She looks up from her cutting. On her table is a rich green fabric. Mother would look fantastic in it. So would Nelyo.

Ambarussa needs something a little less rich. They'd be competing with the colour. They have Father's skin tone. While Nelyo and Kana have mothers.

"Hello ladies, what can I do for you?" Nirel slings her tape measure over her shoulder.

"We need dresses for Grandfather Finwe's begetting party," Artanis says.

Nirel smiles. "And what are you looking for?"

"Classy but not out there...if you know what I mean," I say. "We want to be seen but not overdressed,"

"I most certainly do," Nirel reaches for Artanis. She's particular. More so than Irisse and me. And I know how I like to look. Plus Nirel knows I like to go last. Plus I'll take the most fabric being the tallest. "Now you two look for colours."

Irisse and I begin browsing. I can hear Nirel asking Artanis standard questions. Under her breath, Nirel mentions Artanis has grown again. Not surprising. She and Irisse are almost the same height. Irisse has an inch in her at the moment. Arafinwe has expressed he doesn't want her to grow anymore.

I heard he cried. Earwen said he cried for twenty minutes. Something about her getting so big.

Curvo hopes she doesn't grow much more than she has. He likes that she's shorter than him. If only by six inches. He's wears same size clothes as me. Even though he is three inches shorter and slightly broader. He likes to steal my coats. Claims there warmer than his. They're not. I think he likes doing it.

A memory of when I used to do it when he and our siblings were younger.

On the other hand is Mother. Like Curvo she is also three inches shorter. I rarely take any of her clothes. She takes my pants all the time. Rather annoying. Thankfully I can rely on her to grab me a pair of hers or a shirt if mine needs cleaning.

As they usually do. And I'm usually in a rush.

"When you're done place your choices on the table as usual." Nirel hollers.