Banashment

1490 YT

"Have you a clue to what this meeting is about?" I ask Nolofinwe. My uncle knocked on my door early this morning, early as in, before Laurelin overtook Telperion.

"Feanaro,"

Me or father? I assume father. I've done nothing to warrant a meeting about me. Besides, Father's faith in the valar has been fading. He still adores Aule and his maiar, but Manwe, he's become even more skeptical. "Father?"

"Yes,"

Nolofinwe is awfully tight-lipped this morning, if you can call this, morning. Did he call Grandfather's court to session? "Nolofinwe, did you call the council to session?"

"What if I did?" Nolofinwe shrugs. He livens his pace, making me take longer strides to keep up with his slightly longer legs. "Feanaro doesn't partake in courtly sessions,"

"But I do,"

"You're—"

"I am Feanaro's heir, which also makes me Grandfather's heir," It also means I hold a higher status than Nolofinwe does. This meeting, if Father finds out about it, could land me in hot water with my father. I will survive, but our relationship may not be the same. "I represent the family in court like you represent your family,"

Valar Nolofinwe. What were you thinking? What will Father think if he finds out? Will he dismiss the notion that I called the council to session or...no, don't think about the or.

Nolofinwe stops walking abruptly. So abruptly, I nearly fall down the steps of the palace to avoid bumping into him. Nolofinwe turns to face me. "You mean to call me half family after all the years we put in to stay close,"

"I mean your wife and children," I grit out and step up a step to be eye level.

My uncle immediately backs down. "Oh,"

"Yes, oh," I state and continue walking up the stairs. If we keep stopping to smell the roses, we won't arrive until after the meeting has started. I don't fancy being late today. If ever. Grandfather doesn't approve of being late, and it's something Father has also adopted, except for dinner.

"If I had no intentions of calling you family, I never would have in the beginning, but I openly call you family Nolofinwe, and if you think my father's wavering faith has rubbed off onto me, you are mistaken,"

Nonofinwe jogs to catch up with me. "I apologize, deeply. It's been stressful trying to mediate for Father and Arafinwe. For a young male, he has opinions he's failed to express over the years,"

"Don't tell me he agrees with my father," Arafinwe is the least opinionated male I've ever met in our family. A pushover? Valar, no. But he doesn't have many opinions on the Valar aside from liking them.

Oh, and a tad amount of youngest child syndrome. Something he and Ambarussa share.

"No, but he does agree that Melkor was released too soon," Ah. That I can get behind. I still can't believe they let Melkor out. I can remember exactly where I was when the announcement went out that he was being released.

I was in council with Grandpapa. He had come up from Alue's mansions to help design a house for Mori and Itisse when they married and moved out of the manor. That, of course, never happened.

Grandpapa and I were shocked when we received the news. It's been ninety years since, almost to the day. "I've tried to ignore that or at least him and his comings and goings,"

"For the best, I'm sure,"

"I did too,"

"But?"

"But, Grandfather keeps bringing him up and effectively forcing me to think about the topic," He wants my opinion, but how can I give it when I've made a point to avoid Melkor, let alone any news and gossip.