Baking with Ambarussa

1393 YT

"Dana," Pityo greets waltzing into the sunroom. He stops about three or four feet from me. How considerate. He must have learned from last time when I threw a book at his head.

"Ambarussa,"

"Want to sneak into the kitchen and grab some sweets?"

"I don't know can we?"

"Nyarrë," I chuckle at Pityo's tone.

"I have a better idea," I smile up at my brother. "Let's make sweets,"

"You know how to do that?" He gasps coming closer to my chair in the sunroom. He gets so close I can see all the colours in his blue eyes.

"I have 167 years on you. Of course, I know how to do that," I grab Pityo's arm and push him away. "Go find Ambarussa."

I uncross my legs and close my book. The freshly pressed leaf from Turca tucked between the pages. It's a rhubarb colour of red. Almost the shade of Mother's hair.
_____

"Shhhh," Telvo hushes Pityo who is taking way too loud steps down the stairs. The stairs were not supposed to go down. It's the only stairs that lead to the kitchen doors. The only other set of doors that lead to the kitchen are outside.

The other set of stairs that lead downstairs is a set in a hidden hall off the dining room. That door we can't break into. Not that Turca hasn't tried. Multiple times.

"Don't shhh me," Pityo growls.

I roll my eyes at my brother's antics. "Now both of you are being loud,"

They turn to me and glare. Ha. Karma.

At the bottom of the stairs is a small waiting room. Three chairs are sporadically placed along the wall on our left. In front of us is a large door. I knock once then twice.

We don't have to wait long before Alo opens the barrier between upstairs and downstairs.

Alo smiles when he sees us. "Hello, what can I do for you?"

"Could we come bake?"

"Absolutely,"

Ambarussa begins shaking and dancing with delight. They do their best to keep their voices down. It's still hard for them. They're not yet adults. They have about 63 more years. Perhaps more.

I drag them inside and show them where to find all the ingredients. Flour. Salt. Butter. Eggs. Milk, cream and most importantly chocolate.

"Grab several bowls," I point to a cupboard and nod at Pityo. He follows my instructions. Telvo places the ingredients on the island across from the stove. He continues to grab the ingredients we need. Pityo chips in and helps.

Alo sits back and tosses up several ingredients I never would have thought of.

Once situated I pull out the cookbook Alo gifted to me when I first thought of my cottage. He said it was a housewarming gift. I love it and use it every time I bake or cook. I throw Ambarussa an apron each.

They tie it on and stand across from the island I'm at.

I smile and open the book. "Now we begin."
_____

"Alright, you three times up. I have to start making dinner," Alo, our cook, says. Hands placed firmly in his hips. He smiles at us. I like to think he likes it when we visit. Even if we're technically not allowed down here. At least I'm not.

"Hang on we're almost done," I look around for a basket of some sort to fit our packaged sweets in. "Do you have a..."

Alo holds up a large basket. "Perfect. Thank you, Alo,"