Picnic in the Woods

Why can't this book get better already? I slide down from the tree I was sitting in. My boots touch the ground making soft indents in the green grass. I tilt my head up and look past the branches. Finding the light peeking through the canopy of leaves I can tell it's past lunch. Not too far past lunch.

Turca and Kana are overdue for a picnic. This time we should go to the forest. I grin as I make my way back to the manor to find my brothers. The halls are empty with the occasional servant on duty. Mother is in her studio, father is occupying Curvo in the smithy and Nelyo has taken Mori into town. I used to find the silence creepy but now it's a blessing. 

When I find them Kana is reading on a settee and Turca is eating a dinner roll on the floor. Naturally. What else would Turca be doing? He's always hungry. When he went through his growing phase he never stopped eating. He still hasn't and he's stopped growing.

"Get off your asses," I grab Kana's book. He groans reaching for it. I put a foot on his stomach and hold it just out of reach. I glance at the cover. Composition and music. Of course. "We're going on a picnic,"

"Dana..."

"Kana..." I narrow my eyes on Kana. He stares up at me. He is so not amused. Turca snickers. "You're coming too,"

Truca pumps his fist, nearly letting his roll go flying. "Yes,"

"Get off your asses and let's go," Kana doesn't move, in fact, he glares harder. Varda above. Fine. "You can bring your harp,"

"Fine."

Yes! I grab Turca and drag him toward the kitchens. When we arrive I grab a basket and fill it with tarts, bread, cheese, jam and some salted pork. On our way out head cook Alo shakes his head at us. We snicker and head to Kana's room. 

I knock twice. Nicely. 

"Kano let's go!" Turca bangs on the door. Not so nicely. 

Kana rips the door open and gives Turca a dark look. A look dark enough to rival Mori. "I'm coming."

With his harp across his back Kana, follows Turca and me to the forest. We hike for a good half hour before coming to a clearing. The same one I've frequented with our other brothers. They enjoy the large clearing as must as I do.

In the centre of the clearing, we set up. Turca and I spread out the blanket, pull out the plates and chuckle when Turca sneaks a tart from the basket. I pile up my plate with cheese, bread and salted pork. Kana nicks it and adds a tart. 

I have half a mind to take back the plate but I don't feel like poking the bear. 

Once comfortable Kana takes out his harp and zones. Valar, he brings his harp and doesn't play. Turca waves his hand in front of our brother. "Are you going to play?"

Kana shakes his head, blinks twice and raises his hand to his strings. "This is a new one."

Kana plucks and strums his harp. A light airy melody comes out of his mouth. Turca and I stuff our mouths with tarts, bread, cheese, jam and salted pork.
_____

For hours we talk, eat and listen to Kana play his harp. At one point Kana hands me his harp. I stumble over a simple song I taught Kana when he was 13. That is until my fingers remember what they are supposed to do. I was not gifted by the Valar to play harps. Not like Kana or Findo. They have a natural gift. 

Instead, I am gifted with the ability to control fire but I don't consider that my true gift. I believe that is my skill with words. Whether I'm talking in Grandfather's court or telling a story. It's my true passion. A true gift like Kana's ability to transpose songs by ear. 

I'm decent in the smithy. Father has taught me and my brothers the tricks of the trade. I may not be the best at forge work but I get it done. Nelyo says I do fine but I'm a perfectionist. So is he. 

Mother and father like to joke that Nelyo took all the tall genes. He was born 25 years after me. It was a quick 25 years but I was ecstatic to learn I was to be an older sister. Now I have 5 younger brothers. And I love them all to the stars and back. 

"Dana, dare you to climb that tree," Turca snaps me out of my thoughts and points to a massive tree. I smirk. 

Challenge accepted. Out of our siblings, he's the most outdoorsy. He can also climb a tree faster than a squirrel. He can even beat Nelyo who has eight inches on him. Not to mention he's one of Orome's hunters.

I leave the blanket and begin climbing. It doesn't take too long to reach the top. After all, I have had practice climbing after my brother. Turca stares up at me. 'Throw a pine cone at Kano,'

'Already thought of that,' I reach to the side and grab a pine cone. It tears easily off the branch. I aim for Kana.

He's going to kill me, but at least it's not his harp. I fling the pine cone at my brother. My aim holds true. The pine cone pegs him on the back of the head. 

Kana stops playing. He looks up at me and shouts. Good to know brother, good to know. 

Turca howls with laughter. 

I smile and head down. When my feet touch the ground I grab my book. Turca motions for me to read aloud. At the mention of me reading aloud, Kana stops plucking his harp. Oh, so I have his attention. Father always says I have a gift for storytelling. Anytime I read bedtime stories for my brothers I would always find Father and Mother standing in the hall listening. Hence the name Nyarre. 

I begin reading out loud.

This story is about a prince who falls in love with a cruel princess. In the end, the prince realizes the princess is a bitch and falls for a better lady. The princess ends up falling for the prince but he's moved on. This one I made up when Nelyo was young. I've only recently put it on paper.
_____

I look up at the sky. I locate the light streaming through the leaves like I had done hours prior and check the time. It's nearly dinner. We should head back.

"Time to go,"

"Why?"

"Oh so you didn't want to come, and now you don't want to leave," Kana glares. I knew this would happen. He's always done this. He never wants to go and never wants to leave.

"Shut up,"

"Dinner," At the mention of dinner, Turca perks up. He rushes to pack everything. The blanket, the basket and even Kana. 

The half-hour hike feels like it takes 10 minutes. Turca set the pace that we walked at so it may have taken 10 minutes. When we arrive at the manor Nelyo and Mori wave. They look to have come from the main road to Tirion. 

"What have you been up to?" I ask. Nelyo smiles bashfully. Oh has he found a nice female? Or perhaps he got a letter from Finno. Likely the latter. Finno has been in Alqualonde for the past few weeks. Nelyo has been missing his best friend. 

"Did you go on a picnic?" Mori asks. It looks like he noticed the basket. I loop my arm through Mori's as we head inside.

"They were overdue,"

"Can I come next time?"

"Of course little one," 

Mori growls. Oops, the number one rule; do not anger Mori. He's like Father quick to anger and a spitfire. "I'm not that little. Curvo is only ten,"

"Yes, yes, your right."

A servant takes the basket and blanket from Turca and me. She tells us mother is waiting with Curvo and father. We arrive in the dining room and Mother greets us with open arms. Father is sitting with Curvo whos vibrating. 

He must have had a good day. 

Father smiles. 'You have no idea.'