Engagement

Three Days Later

"Hey Kana, how are you feeling?" I push off the doorframe and go sit on the edge of his bed. Kana takes my hand. I cover his hand with my other. I softly smile at him.

"Better. The healers say I can leave soon."

"Thank the Valar."

We talk for awhile. A long while.

I decided to swing by as I was in the area. Arafinwe passed me on my way. It was nice seeing him. I was at Nolofinwe's manor. We were hammering out a few details from my presentation the other day. It went well. Now all I have to do is propose the idea to King Olwe and Manwe.

Outside the light has started to turn silver. It must be late. I turn to Kana. He nods. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Sleep well."

I leave the healer's wing and head for Grandfather's castle. I intend to talk with him. Agies has to go. He's already injured a member of the royal family. Who knows what else he will do. For all, we know he may end up killing one of us. Kinslaying is punishable by exile or so I'm told.

The walk to the castle takes a little longer than usual. Ambarussa stopped me on their way to the manor. They were coming back from a ride. Telvo handed me a bouquet of purple flowers. Payment for all the flower pots they broke. He picked them himself. I told him I'll put them in my rooms.

At the castle, I wait in Grandfather's waiting room. He knows I'm here he just has to call me in. Other elves walk out of Grandfather's study. There must have been a meeting. Usually, I'm at the meetings. Due to Kana and my engagement I've been excused. My meeting with Nolofinwe was to get my mind of both males.

Grandfather told me to spend time with Agies. And I quote 'you never know Feaelenion, you may grow to like him.' I think not.

I assume Father gave him the idea.

Father's been spending more time in his smithy as of late. He thinks he can hide from his mistake. I've been trying to find a way out of this. Hopefully, Grandfather can help. If not I'm moving to the woods with Orome. I'm sure he won't mind.

Grandfather stands in the doorway as the court leaves. Today he's wearing a dark red robe with silver and gold accents. Upon his dark locks is his crown. I smile. Grandfather smiles too. He waves me in.

"Feäelenion, what do I owe the pleasure?" Spirit of the stars. I never tire of him calling me that. He was the one who gave me that name. None of my brothers nor cousins have a name from him. That right is reserved for me and me alone.

"As you know I am to be wed in seven moons." Grandfather nods. He was there when Father announced it. "I do not intend to wed Agies in seven months. Three days ago he nearly killed Kana."

"What are you asking?"

"What can I do to have Father incinerate the engagement?" Grandfather frowns. He sits on the table. His arms cross over his chest. He's not going to help me.

Of course. He thinks I'm too old not to be married. Hell I'm older than all his children of his second marriage. And most of them are married with children.

"Think over what I have asked. I'll come back tomorrow for an answer. Good night Grandfather." I bow and turn to leave. I don't make it three feet before Grandfather halts me.

"Feäelenion."

I turn back.

"I will help you." Hope blooms. Grandfather walks over and embraces me. He mutters words into the top of my head. Ones only I can hear. "Agies has a way with words...at times. He did sound like one of your friends. I wasn't sure of him but your father seemed keen. He was excited you have someone to love. Like he loves your Mother."