Playing with the Twins

1358 YT

"Dana." Mother's voice brings me out of my book. She has Telvo and Nelyo has Pityo. They stare at me from the doorway.

"Yes?"

"Would you watch the twins?" I smile as Telvo holds out his arms for me. I fold my bookmark into my book and place it on my settee. I gladly take him from Mother. Telvo tucks his head into my neck and Mother leaves Nelyo with me.

"What do you want to do?" I lift Telvo over my head. He giggles as he flails his limbs around.

"Blocks!"

"Blocks?" They haven't wanted blocks before.

"Blocks!" Pityo shouts.

It seems they agree. Nelyo and I share a look. Hmm, I wonder if my blocks are around here? Last I remember I saw them in a box in my wardrobe. I haven't needed them in 160 years.

"I wonder if my blocks are in my wardrobe?" Telvo wiggles his arms and legs. I set him on the floor. He crawls after me. With the wardrobe's doors, wide open Telvo and Pityo look through the bottom to find my blocks. Boots and a few pairs of pants that fell are pushed out of the way.

"Block!"

Pityo holds up a block. Ah, the red brings me back to when I was first presented them. Grandfather Finwé has them made especially for me. I believe I was 3, barely older than the twins are now when he gave them to me. Father had taken me to visit the castle. It was a wonderful day. Such a distant memory.

"Valar those are old." Nelyo picks up a block and examines it. He snickers. If I remember he never was given anything as a child from Grandfather Finwe. I lift the twins out of the way so I can dig out the rest. If I remember there are 100 blocks.

"Nelyo! There hardly younger than I."

Nelyo bashfully grins. "When did you get them?"

Cheeky bastard. He knows the twins don't know how old I am. He better not tell them. "When I was three."

"There 166 years old." Nelyo takes the twins and places them at the center of my room. In the back of the wardrobe is a box. I stick my head over the lip of the box and find the blocks.

"Yes."

I heave the box out of the wardrobe and drag it to the twins. They waste no time in emptying the contents. They begin building. Up up the block go. They build a large building using mostly red and green blocks. When they run out of blocks Telvo kicks the largest part. Oh, dear.

I turn to Pityo. Instead of crying like a normal toddler, he laughs. Nelyo and I share a look. None of our other brothers would have laughed. They would have cried. Okay then.
______

"Roar!" Nelyo spins while holding one twin under each arm. They burst out laughing. Valar this is too cute. Nelyo even goes as far as to nearly drop them. They laugh at that too. They're just tiny giggle monsters.

From my bed, I can see what's happening. I decided to take a break from chasing them around my room. About an hour ago the twins got bored of the blocks. So I put them back into my wardrobe. Instead of grabbing something else from my childhood, we started playing with the pillows. A fort stands in the corner of my room. We found out early Nelyo is too big to fit. We tried to make it bigger but he's just too large.

"Dana, take one."

I stand up from my bed and take Pityo from under his arm. Pityo clings to me. His red hair falls in front of his eyes. Valar he looks so much like Nelyo did when he was two. Nelyo leads us into the hall. He takes Pityo and places him on my shoulders.

I look up at Nelyo and grin. He grins down at me and I take off down the hall. Pityo holds on for his life. We weave through Turca, who is back from a hunt and Kana. We race down the stairs and head for the kitchens. The journey to the kitchens doesn't take long after going down to the main floor. After passing the library and Mother and Father's room, we walking through the slightly dipped room. We stand at the stairs leading down to the kitchen.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Pityo giggles. Valar I don't want him to grow up. He's too cute at this age. "Alright, let's go."

I tiptoe down the stairs and pry open the door. Thankfully cook keeps the doors well oiled. We tiptoe in. Pityo points to tarts sitting on the counter close to us. I grab a plate that is left out and fill it with several tarts. They're still warm. Oh, valar straight out of the oven! Thank the Valar. When the plate is full we tiptoe out and head for the covered terrace between Kana and Turca's rooms.

It doesn't take long for Nelyo and Telvo to find us. They sit down beside us and begin eating. Nelyo had gone to his room and found a book I used to read to him. He hands it to me and I start reading to the twins. This is Nelyo's favourite. He could never get enough.
______

Hours later Mother and Father find us in the paddock. They watch as I take Telvo around on my horse. We had been passing to head for the market but the twins wanted to see the horses. Telvo giggles as we prance slowly around the ring.

"Dana!"

"Father!"

"Come. Let's go see Father." I turn my horse around and head for the side of the ring. At the side, Mother and Nelyo are conversing. Pityo is clinging to his oldest brother. It seems he doesn't want to go with Mother. Aw poor guy.

"Father."

"Dana, would you like some diner?" Oh dear valar! Did we miss diner?

"Oh, dear. What time is it?" I look up at the sky and realize I can't see anything but red. I nearly forgot Telvo was on my shoulders. I pick him up and hand him to Father. Pityo is still fussing but is now in Mother's arms.

Father and Mother wait for me to put my horse away. Together we walk back to the manor. Along the way, Mother asks Pityo how his day was. The twins respond by telling her what we did. All the way to stealing tarts from the kitchens, reading Nelyo's' book and building the fort. Although they did so in their own language. The twins can speak a little but not a whole lot. Mother and Father smile as Nelyo fills in the gaps.