(13) Go With The Flow

Anthony

After some convincing I get Jess and her family to come to a game. She was nervous because as far as she knew, she didn't understand baseball that well and didn't want to feel left out. But I assure her that no one will judge her and she will pick it up quickly. She was a smart girl and she got really into the game the first time around. I'm praying she matches that passion for the game this time around too.

"How is she" her dad Kyle asks me as we watch her walk around the clubhouse. Some of the other wives and significant others was here and she was catching up with them. They loved her and she loved them right back so I knew she would be good coming to the game today. I just hope it isn't all too much.

"She's good. I think she's coming to terms with her situation and it's helping her move on. The other night she said she's not so worried about getting back what she once was and wanted to focus on becoming someone even better than she was. Though I don't know how that's possible" I chuckle.

"And what about you? How have you been" he asks.

I let out a sigh as I look over at Jess. She smiles at me before turning back to the conversation she was in. "I'm doing fine, I guess. I hate lying to her but I know this is what is best for her. All I want is for her to be happy, to smile like she used to and that would be enough" I admit.

"Hang in there son. I'm sure she will help you figure everything out. Always did" he assures me.

"As long as she's happy, I'm happy" I insist.

"That's what I like to hear" he smiles.

Eventually she comes over and she shows me all the things they were looking at on her phone. She followed a bunch of the girls and her social media's and now they can stay connected through all things we put them through this season. I was more than happy she was making friends and I just hope nothing goes wrong and she figures it all out the hard way.

After hanging out they had to leave and we had to get ready for the game. So I kiss Jess goodbye and get into game mode. As I sit in my stall I smile to myself, a picture of her and I at the Sam Smith concert sits in my locker reminding me of better times. I see someone sit next to me and it was my good buddy Kris Bryant.

Now Kris was a real stud, spent 3 years tearing it up in college, one year dominating in the minors plus a few weeks at the start of this year before he was called up. And the poor man decided that out of everyone on this team, he wants to be friends with me. Now I've been here longer than most anyone on this team and I know my way around the facility and the city. For a young star such as my good friend Kris this can be a lot. Minors is nothing like the majors and in a city like this where you're the prophesied chosen one it can be too much to handle. So I let him tag along with me, ask any questions and just try to be there for him.

"What's up rookie" I ask.

"Nothing much. Just trying to make up a game day schedule that isn't completely exhausting" he chuckles.

"Let me give you some words of advise, don't try to map out your life around here. Things are never as it seems and you spend all this time making plans only for a rain delay or random injury to knock you off you're game plan then all of the sudden you don't know how to react. It's easier to just go with the flow and take things as they come" I insist.

"See, this is why you're my Buddy" he claims as I laugh.

"That's one way to put it" I shake my head.

"So how are you? I just met you fiancé, or girlfriend? Fiancé-girlfriend" he asks making me giggle.

"It's complicated. Far more complicated than you need to worry about. It's the best reason to just go with the flow not trying to set things in stone because you never know what's going to happen.

Right now, she's my everything. It feels weird to call her my girlfriend because she was about to be my wife. But at least I have her back you know, we can go with the flow together. Figure things out and hopefully be in a place one day where we can set things in stone again" I explain.

"You think you can get there" he asks me.

"I have to believe that we can get there again. Life has given me two chances to be with the one person in this world that I feel like I belong with. The one person who in two different scenarios is falling for me. It's the kind of thing that if I don't stand and fight for this, for her, I'll live the rest of my life wishing I did" I say softly.

"You really love her huh" he asks.

"That's the worst part. I never stopped, you know? She forgot and I never had that chance. I remember everything, every little we've ever done together. All those feelings I had, they never left. To sit here and try to act like I don't feel the way I feel about her, it's awful. It sucks. I hate it. But it's what is necessary for us to be able to find our happily ever after again. It's what we need in order for her to feel the way she did before even though I never stopped feeling like that" I whisper.

"I'm so sorry. I had no idea this was so hard for you. You hide it so well" he claims.

"This part isn't hard. Remembering how I fell so hard in love in the first place, that's easy. In a way I get to fall in love all over again and I love it. Hard was those three months without her. Hard was deciding that the best thing for her, the best way for her to be happy was without me by her side. Not until she was ready at least. Hard was standing outside the hospital knowing that just inside the doors everything was falling apart and there was nothing I could do about it" I say.

"You went through all of that and you're still playing good baseball? Looks like I chose a good mentor" Kris tries as I smile a little.

"You're not bad kid. Not at all" I smile.