(41) A Tiny Surpise

Jessica

With today being my birthday I spent the morning reflecting on my past birthdays. I missed the last 5 birthdays and I try not to think about how I might have spent them. I try not to think about the friends who I no longer know, all the good times I no longer remember. But my mind wonders from time to time, and I know the life I have now is great. I'm engaged and I have this beautiful house and I get the privilege of falling in love with my soul mate for the second time. In the weirdest ways everything was exactly like it was supposed to be.

But I still have this big piece of me missing. A piece that's destroyed and not ever going to come back. And a part of me hurts knowing it wasn't coming back. I can't help but feel like I was never going to be whole again. How could I be? But I also knew there was no way I was going to get back what was lost and I can't sit here and feel sorry for myself. Not anymore at least. My further is here, right now. And I hope that I can move forward trusting my brain.

I feel the bed beside me dip and I smile thinking Anthony had joined me in bed once again. But then I hear some jingling of metal and I get confused. I open my eyes to see what this man was up to but he wasn't in the bed with me. Instead I find a large dog sitting there staring at me.

"You know, when I said I liked the stubble I didn't mean for you to go wolf man" I joke as Anthony appears in the doorway.

"Yeah well he wasn't supposed to show up until later" Anthony admits as I let the dog smell my hand. It takes my new friend a few seconds before he jumps on me and I laugh.

"No no, I think he's right on time" I smile as he licks my face.

"He was supposed to be a surprise birthday present but the pup was going to put him down today if I didn't take him. So he stayed with Jon last night but we got our exchange times a bit messed up so... happy birthday" Anthony laughs as he sits on the bed next to me. He starts to pet the dog and I honestly thought this was the best day ever.

"What's this handsome mans name" I wonder as I scrunch up his cute face

"This is Tiny. Believe it or not he's nine months old" Anthony says as my eyes get big.

"What kind of dog is he" I gasp.

"They're not sure. They found him in the side of the road. They think he's part shepherd and part Great Dane but I'm sure there's other breeds in there too. He was pretty hurt when he first guy there but he fought back. Hopefully he will be okay" Anthony says and I feel my heart break.

"Why was he on the kill list" I wonder.

"They're just over booked. No one was picking him out and they needed room for other dogs. He didn't like other dogs so he was put on a list. But while I was looking for your birthday present I know Tiny was perfect for you. He has dane in him and I know you always wanted a Dane and he is going to grow into something that will stop anything from ever hurting you. So now he's here" he explains.

"Well I love him. We're going to make you feel more loved than anything. We'll get you a dog house to build in the back and all the toys and go on adventures. You're going to love it here" I say as I hug my new puppy. I already loved him with all my heart.

We spend the most of the morning in bed before I had to get up. My family was coming into town for lunch and I already know they were going to do the most. There was a point not too long ago that there was a good chance I wasn't making it to this birthday. But I'll be damned if I go out of this world by slipping on ice. I'm not trying to be on the next episode of dumb ways to die.

Once I was showered and changed I head out back to play with Tiny. Anthony got him a few things to get him by but I was going to spoil him. Finally Anthony pulls me away and we meet up at a nice restaurant. I find my favorite little kids and give them big hugs. They give me cards that they made for me and I was going to cherish these forever. I loved the thoughtful hand made things like this, there will always be a place for it in my heart.

"How's the birthday girl" my sister Jenny asks me and I laugh.

"Well I got a dog and you know me, doesn't get any better than that" I insist.

"He finally gave in huh" she questions as I look at her weird.

"What do you mean" I wonder.

"You always wanted a dog and you tried to talk Anthony into getting one before but he was always on the fence. Luckily your apartment didn't allow dogs but even when you guys were looking at houses he wasn't so sure. But I guess he came around" she shrugs.

"I guess he did" I admit.

They all find their seats and I grab Anthony for a second. I pull him to the side as he just smiles down on me.

"What's up" he wonders.

"Why did you get me a dog for my birthday" I ask.

"Because it's your birthday... and you wanted a dog. Is this a trick question" he wonders but I just shake my head.

"No. But my sister told me you never wanted a dog and now we have one. I don't want you doing things simply because that's what I want. We're in this together and-" I try.

"Baby" he interrupts, "calm down. I didn't do anything that I'm not willing to do. I didn't want a dog because I wasn't ready to care for a dog. And I didn't want you to feel like you have to care for him yourself because I'm not around to help. But now we have a house and I have you so I know we will be just fine. You've always wanted a dog and I always want you to be happy. This solves both of our needs and we get good practice taking care of something that can't really tell us what he wants" he says.

I let out a soft sigh as I nod my head. "Alright, I believe you" I assure him.

He pulls me into him and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Thank you for pulling me to the side and talking to me instead of letting this get to you" he whispers on my skin.

"I'm working on it" I tease.