(32) Let's Stay Together

Anthony

After Jess and I make up she moves back in. I kept a lot of her things, her clothes she kept here and shoes and feminine products. It wasn't all that long ago we were tangled up in bed ready to spend the rest of our lives together. So we get her laptops and personal belongings she's acquired since the accident and all the new clothes she loves to wear and help her get settled in once again.

She shows me the iPod I got her in her hand and I smile big. "Was this my iPod" she asks me.

"No. I really did buy that for you. But most of the songs are ones you really liked or something we had something special with" I explain.

She hooks it up to the surround sound and puts it on shuffle. A song starts to play and I smile because it was one of my favorites.

"I, I'm so in love with you
Whatever you want to do is alright with me
Cause you make me feel so brand-new
And I want to spend my life with you

Let me say that since, baby, since we've been together
Loving you forever is what I need
Let me be the one you come runnin' to, I'll never be untrue."

I grab her hand and spin her around on my finger. I softly pull her into my chest as her arms wrap around me. She pulls me close as we sway to the best. I let Al Green do what he does best and tell the story of love. More specifically our love. Through the test of times we still end up in this place chest to chest falling more in love.

I start to sing to her as she giggles at me. The smile on my face seemingly permanent since she decided she still wants to be with me.

"So you still gonna teach me how to play piano" she wonders. "I saw it in the living room and I've been eyeing it ever since."

"Of course. We can do Sam Smith or Billy Joel or Elton John or Charlie Puth" I claim.

"Charlie who" she laughs.

"Ah, you still have so much to learn. Don't worry, I'll teach you" I promise.

"I can't wait" she smiles.

"Oh baby, let's stay together
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad

Baby, whether times are good or bad, happy or sad

Why, somebody, why people break up
Oh, turn around and make up, I just can't see
You'd never do that to me (would you, baby)
Being around you is all I see
Here's what I want us to do

Let's, we oughta stay together (together)
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad
(Come on) Let's, let's stay together
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad."

I playfully dip her backwards as she starts to laugh. I pull her back up as she just had this look of bliss. Something I haven't seen from her in almost a year. I was so so happy to be starting my life with her again. I felt like I did last year right after I proposed and we were figuring out all the stuff we wanted. Every day I woke up so excited to see what the day would bring me. Just happy that I get to figure it out with her.

And now a similar opportunity arises and I was just as excited to see where this goes. I know that it's not going to be as easy this time around, there's a lot more to take into consideration and I don't want to mess it up. Jess was still dealing with her side effects and I can't just carelessly do things knowing things what I know. My top priority is to love her and make sure I do everything I can to keep that love.

The song ends and I spin her out of my arms. She takes a bow and I smile to myself, how lucky am I?

We finish up unpacking and decide to stop for the evening. We had one more series then we were done for the season. The playoff birth was secure but now we have to decide who is hosting the wildcard, us or the pirates. We have been playing really well of late and I like our chances. It won't matter much where we play because in a winner takes all, my money is on us anytime anywhere.

Jess takes to the kitchen and I have to admit I miss this most. Sitting her watch her make some super delicious food. She says she has learned a lot of recipes from staying home with her mom so I was excited to try it all. I assured her she didn't have to cook but she says it calms her and I would rather have something fresh than ordered.

"You're so adorable when you cook" I sigh as she laughs.

"Yes. Nothing is sexier than smelling like minced garlic" she claims.

"Smells like love to me" I joke as she just shakes her head.

"So what have you been eating while I was gone" she wonders.

"Take out, team meals, I've recently discovered that TV dinners are even better now than when I was in high school. I used to hate them but those little brownies are really good" I admit making her chuckle.

"I'll take your word for it" she shakes her head.

"Sorry I'm not a culinary genius like you" I tease.

"I'm not a culinary genius. I'm a woman who was bored and likes to eat a lot" she defends.

"Well no matter what you make I know it'll be good. It already smells amazing" I admit.

"We're almost there" she promises.

She finished up dinner and I can feel my tummy rumbling. Jess sets a plate of great looking food in front of me and I couldn't help but do a little dance in my seat. It's been so long since I had a home cooked meal made with love. I already know I was going to love this.

"So, how did I do" she asks as she watched me stuff my face.

"Somehow you've gotten even better at cooking" I say with a mouth full of fresh mashed potatoes.

"I've worked really hard on cooking. I'm glad you liked it" she chuckles as I continue to stuff my face.

"You're never allowed to leave again" I moan as she laughs at me.

"I'm here to stay" she promises.