(43) So Deeply

Anthony

Today was the walk off for cancer event and it's the biggest fundraiser we do. We have a cook off for cancer and a laugh off for cancer that are usually in Chicago. This is the only one we host down here but it draws in the most people and the most money.

It was simple really, people pay for a shirt and a little goodie bag and every single cent given to us goes to the foundation. Since it's non profit the money makes it straight to the hospitals and where it is needed most.

And I'm lucky, I have the best family out there. My parents run almost every aspect of this foundation and even my brother and his wife lend a hand. This foundation meant the world to me. Due to my personal experience I was able to help others like me and that made my heart happy.

"Today's the big day" my dad cheers as he sees Jess and I walking over hand in hand. Tiny was on his leash ready to explore the world and get his walk on too. My mom sees us heading their way as she just lights up.

"We're ready" I smile.

"Oh Jessie darling you look stunning" my mom says as she pulls Jess from me. Tiny goes with his mom because she spoiled him. Then again I'm afraid to know what that mountain of a dog would do if he wasn't spoiled.

"Hey! I actually put some effort in my hair today" I joke as my mom showers Jess with attention and not me.

"You look handsome. She just looks better" my mom smirks. I know she never had a daughter of her own but this is just mean.

They take off with the dog to talk and I help my dad finish setting out the shirts for pick up. It was still pretty early but this was our biggest fundraiser so we had been working around the clock for today. So far everything was going as planned and I was excited to see the turn out. A lot of people already donated and I know we can help so many people thanks to them.

"So have you guys figured out anything for the wedding" he wonders as I laugh.

"Not exactly, no. I gave her the old wedding planning book she worked on and got rid of a bunch of old stuff right off the bat. She wants a spring wedding now and wants a band instead of a DJ. She's really into looking at things but we haven't done anything yet" I explain.

"Spring? That's so soon" he admits.

"Don't I know it. But it's a few months late technically" I say as he just shakes his head.

"I guess you're right. I just hope you guys don't stress yourselves out trying to throw it together so quickly. Part of what made Jess pass out in the first place could have been stress" he reminds me.

"I know. Mom is doing good of helping her think up of some things. We're both keeping a close eye on her not to step on her toes but still make sure she doesn't over do it" I nod.

"Good. Because she's already done wonders for this foundation and this is the first event she's ran since the accident. But she's gotten everything under control and a lot of people signed up. I think it's going to be good" he admits.

"Perfect" I smile.

People come by the dozens and pick up their shirts front the table. They get little goodie bags too as they head to the starting line. It was a nice little 3k for us to all get our steps in. So I step up to the podium near the front to adress the crowd. I smile from ear to ear as I look out at the difference we were making.

"Thank you all for coming out tonight and supporting. Whether you're from here in Parkland or a Cubs fan or even a Cardinals fan I welcome you here today. Your support makes all of this possible and it makes my heart jump for joy.

I started this foundation not because I had cancer, but because my family watched me go through having cancer. When it's you you're not worried as much. Get treatment, take it easy and hope for the best. Because if it doesn't work out you don't lose anything.

But your family loses everything.

I was ever so unlucky to lose someone who means a lot to me. And she didn't die and she didn't have cancer. She was here the whole time. But I couldn't have her in my life and it was awful. To lose someone you love, that you love so deeply, it hurts. It was a pain unlike anything I felt before. I was always cold, I felt so alone. I- I wasn't sure what to do now that I lost the most important person in my life.

And that's what this is all about. Yes it's for the kids but it's for the family too. So they never have to know the pain of waking up one day and not having someone important in your life. I was lucky because my fiancé didn't die, only a part of her did. I can still plan our wedding and hold her hand and tell her every way I love her. When a kid dies the families don't get a second chance.

Every life we can touch through this is worth it. Every person we can help get through these hard times is valuable. That's why this is so important to me, because when you're a kid with cancer you're not thinking about your family all the time. You're focused on getting better so you and your family can go home. And now that I've had the perspective of losing someone I love I realize just how important this foundation is. Going through that alone was painful. It sucked. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

So now I stand here in a position to help. I have a way to raise money and help families so they won't have to know that feeling. They'll never have to worry about not being able to save their kids. We can help people who aren't sick get through this for the ones who are.

I just want to thank everyone for donating time and money for this, it's my families honor to have everyone out and we hope you have a great time, thank you" I nod as I step back from the microphone.

Jess grabs my hand and pulls me into a soft kiss. Her other hand rests on my cheek as she smiles up at me. "We are all so lucky to have you in our lives" she says softly giving me butterflies.

"I'm just trying my best to keep you all here" I admit.

"We're here because of you. And a bunch of families find their happy ever after thanks to you" she insists.