(27) Still Into You

Anthony

As this season nears to a end for the first time in my whole career I prepare for postseason baseball. We weren't in a lock for a spot just yet but between us, the Pirates and the Cardinals somone was going to win the division and two more most likely will get in the wildcard game. We were already at 80 wins which is more than I ever had at the end of the season with a month of baseball still left. The fans and the players were both excited to see what can happen in the post season. Joe has us on the right track and sooner than many believed we were projected to surprise some people. And that made for exciting times in the city.

So I grab my girlfriend and go to a place that was familiar to me. It was where we had our first first date, a nice restaurant that has a patio that overlooks the city. You can see everything from out there. It was one of my favorite places in the world, the best food and the best view too.

"Wow this is incredible" Jess gasps as she walks straight to the glass barriers that separated us from falling to our deaths. Where this newfound courage came from is beyond me but it's a tiny bit scary.

"Let's not get too close there" I warn.

"You wouldn't let anything hurt me" she smirks as I smile back.

"You're right" I admit.

I walk over to her and rest my head on her shoulder. She softly kissed my nose and I smile like a idiot.

We never had that talk like we were supposed to. She never brought it up again and I sure as hell wasn't going to. I mean she got her point across and I agreed so that was good enough for now.

We find a table that captured the cities view and sit down. Music plays as we just enjoy the warm early September sun. I take a few pictures of her just to have on my phone because they make me happy. I already have more pictures of her on my phone than anything but I just can't get enough of her. Never will.

"I've never been here before that I can remember but it seems so familiar" she claims and I raise a eyebrow. We came here a lot after our first date the first time around so maybe part of her brain remembers the location even though she doesn't know why.

"Yeah" I ask.

"Really. This view is one of a kind but I feel like I've been here before. Maybe I came here before I got hurt and pieces of that puzzle are there even though I'm not quite sure where it goes" she claims.

"This is one of my favorite places in the world. I have good memories here but I'm more interested in making better ones with you" I admit as she smiles across the table.

"I like that plan" she admits.

"Can't count the years on one hand that we've been together
I need the other one to hold you
Make you feel, make you feel better
It's not a walk in the park to love each other
But when our fingers interlock, can't deny, can't deny, you're the worth it
'Cause after all this time
I'm still into you

I should be over all the butterflies but I'm into you, I'm into you
And even baby our worst nights
I'm into you, I'm into you
Let 'em wonder how we got this far,
'Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah, after all this time
I'm still into you

Recount the night that I first met your mother
And on the drive back to my house I told you that, I told you that I loved ya
You felt the weight of the world fall off the shoulder
And to your favorite song we sang along, to the start of forever
And after all this time
I'm still into you."

I just stare at her as she mindlessly watches the clouds roll by. I always loved her admiration for the sky and all the things that are beyond this big blue blanket above us.

She starts to nod her head to the beat of the song making me smile. She has the most beautiful smile, I would do anything to keep that on her face. Anything.

"You know this song" I ask her.

"It's on the iPod you got me, I really like the vocals and the lyrics are great. The concept that love last through time. I love the idea that you can always feel like you're in that honeymoon phase" she claims.

"You think that a couple can stay like that forever? With the butterflies and the pounding hearts" I ask.

"I do" she smiles. "Some things are bigger than we will ever know. Love is one of those things. Makes you do some crazy things just to keep that love alive"

"Don't I know it" I smile.

"I should be over all the butterflies but I'm into you, I'm into you
And even baby our worst nights
I'm into you, I'm into you
Let 'em wonder how we got this far,
'Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah after all this time
I'm still into you

Some things just, some things just make sense
And one of those is you and I
Some things just, some things just make sense
And even after all this time
I'm into you
Baby not a day goes by that I'm not into you

I should be over all the butterflies but I'm into you, I'm into you
And even baby our worst nights
I'm into you, I'm into you
Let 'em wonder how we got this far,
'Cause I don't really need to wonder at all
Yeah after all this time
I'm still into you
I'm still into you
I'm still into you."

I reach over and grab her hand to hold. My hand is still clammy because just like the song I was still nervous around her. Hoping that she's as into me as I was into her. And I knew she was, not a doubt in my mind that after all this time the love was still going strong. Even on the worst nights where I question why I'm doing this. Why I am putting myself through so much. But then I look at my phone at the pictures, at the way she looks at me , and I know that I would fight until the end to be here with again.