The View from the Bookstore

Part 2 of The Tears of Lost Regret @Nariko_Shizukana

genre-angst, modern au

characters are aged up to 19-20

warning-suggestive themes

Ray's pov

The last time I saw (y/n), she was laughing, which made me comprehend it's been forever since I saw her smile.

She was wearing the sundress that I always liked. The yellow gingham cloth that complimented her. Her hair was in a low ponytail, casually going over her shoulder. Her skin glowed in the pleasant afternoon sunlight, as her eyes sparkled.

(y/n) looked as beautiful as she was up close. The only thing was that she was by herself at a table for two. All the way across the asphalt road.

I was in the quaint bookstore that housed antique novels and little collectibles when I saw her sitting at the glass cafe tables. She patiently sat in her chair, in the very same cafe I asked her out that day. The day she broke up with me.

It about six months ago when she found out about how I cheated on her with Hana.

We only dated for about a year, and the first few months were one of the happiest moments ever. The two of us would go to festivals every week and watch the fireworks, while we ate takoyaki and rice balls.

But one night during a party, it all fell apart.

(y/n) called and said that she had needed help with something. She asked me if I could drive her to her sister's house, which I refused. I felt annoyed that she was asking me, even though I was busy that night.

I was at a party for a friend, and she knew. She knew I enjoyed the basement where my close friends and I hung out. She knew about the dumb games of Seven Minutes in Heaven and the taste of acidic energy drinks mixed with liquor. So as a result, she apologized and explained she would drive herself. I declined the call without saying goodbye.

I didn't realize that I made the worst decision of my entire life at that event. The alcohol intake I drank that night left me senseless. I don't remember what happened when I woke up, but I wasn't in my apartment. Instead, I was in an empty bedroom, half-naked with a girl I knew from college.

It was like I lost every bit of morality, and I wanted to apologize immediately. But the thing is when my memories came back during my hangover, I discerned what exactly happened. And I hate to admit this, but I enjoyed it. Every last bit of it.

(y/n) told me on a phone call that she would be gone for three weeks, because of an emergency. I ask myself why I thought her temporary disappearance was a blessing, for because of that, my life's career ended.

Nobody needs to know, I thought. Nobody needs to figure out that I slept with someone else that entire time she was gone.

I remembered how Hana's lips felt on mine, and I witnessed the sinful shades of maroon on her collarbone. I reminisced the remorse that dwelled inside me every time I went to her house to "study." I hated it, but it made me crave more.

The more I spent the night in Hana's bedroom, the more I began to resent (y/n), just a little bit. I didn't know why, but I suppose that it was she didn't have the capabilities Hana owned.

I didn't recognize that (y/n) grew distant after she returned. I felt terrible for having my mind preoccupied with silly things. I admit I was a jerk, and I deserved it.

When she came back, it was like she arrived a different person. She barely grinned or even spared a glance at me.

We barely had any time to spend with each other. Sometimes, I would come home late, way after 8:00 pm. (y/n) would not question it, for she sat quietly at the table, gazing out the glass screen door. It was like my behavior did not trouble her at all.