Silence of the Flowers

Requested by asimpmaniac

genre-angst, normal au

(four months before the original plot)

(y/n)'s pov:

"(y/n), are you okay?" 

I heard the exclaim of my friend, Emma, as I crouched over a toilet. My eyes were going blurry, as I continuously vomited red liquid. Blood. I don't remember eating anything expired, I thought.

But as I rubbed my eyes, I noticed something else. Purple ripped hyacinth petals and an entire stem. I only glanced for a split second, because right after, I had a relapse of blood and flowers.

After about ten minutes of continuous sickness, I was finally able to stand up. I exited out the door and saw Emma.

"Oh, you're alright!" Emma said. "We were worried sick about you."

I nodded gratefully. "Thank you, I'm fine."

"That's a relief," she answered while taking my hand. "Now come on, everyone's ready for tag."

After about thirty minutes

I met up with Ray in the library after. I drowned out most of what he was ranting about this time because that was how he always was. I was reading about flowers and was particularly interested in the fact that hyacinths meant sorrow and pain.

"And to end it off, I don't know what to about Emma," I heard him say. I perked up. "I can't believe I fell for her."

My heart dropped, but I realized, I already knew. 

That's correct. I forgot.

"Sorry, no," Ray said to me last week when I confessed to him. It was the worst mistake I ever made in my life. "I have feelings for someone else."

He walked away, and I stopped him by grabbing his hand. "Wait who?" I asked.

"Emma. It's Emma. And it'll always be her," he answered, smiling. He looked like he really was in love with her, and how could I blame him? 

She was everything I wasn't. 

We decided to remain friends and chose to never speak of this. But now he partially brought it up, I won't ever be able to forget.

I looked forward to the finely illustrated blossom. "What?" I whispered. "What did you say?"

He jumped off from where he was sitting. "You heard me the first time, (y/n). You need to get your ears checked."

Usually, I would have laughed at his silly comments. But now, I felt melancholy. It's not like I wanted him for myself, no, that's selfish.

But it's like I realized too late. And I did. For why did it have to be him? I felt like crying, but I knew better not to. Besides, my eyes were drained of emotions at this point. I stood up.

"Oh, that's right, Ray," I answered. "The thought supposedly slipped my mind."

"So, do you think I should do something?" he inquired. I sat back down in my chair, the picture of flowers catching my eye once more. 

"You decide," I told him before leaving the library.

Three days later

I didn't experience the blood and hyacinths since then. I was currently helping the flowers with Gilda. She pruned off dead branches as I watered the soil.

"Say," I started, catching her attention. "Have you ever heard of vomiting flowers and blood?"

She looked up, narrowed her eyes. "Yeah, well it's only a legend. It's called Hanahaki disease, and it's when someone experiences unrequited love. Usually, after about one to two weeks, the person dies if the feelings aren't returned. It's a really interesting concept."